Chapter 7

A few days later Fury and his team had left but he was still trying to get to join. I was out in the barn hitting a punching bag when Tony walked in.

"Can we talk?" Tony asked and I groaned.

"Hold the bag and we can talk." I said and he nodded and walked up to the bag.

"So I want to talk about what Fury offered you." Tony said and I punched the bag harder.

"Listen, tin man, this life works for you, jolly green, iceman, bow man and Nat but not for me." I said and Tony chuckled.

"Can I ask why we all have nicknames except for Romanoff?" Tony asked.

"Easy....she can murder me with her pinky." I said and punched the bag hard. Tony chuckled but nodded.

"Very true, but I think you could too. I mean I watched you almost take her down and then you took down Rumlow. Why not take Fury up on his offer. You won't be there all the time but you get to visit, see Clint....even get to see Steve...." Tony trailed off. I stopped punch the bag.

"What's that supposed to mean?" I asked and Tony smiled.

"Oh come on, it's obviously to everyone that you and Steve hang out all the time." Tony said and I shook my head and went back to punching.

"Iceman and I don't hang out. He is just around where I am usually." I said.

"And going on runs together..." Tony said.

"What are you trying to say?" I asked annoyed as I stopped punching again.

"I'm just saying Cap is a much better guy than Max was." Tony said and I high kicked the bag almost kicking Tony's head.

"Okay, okay, sorry." Tony said as I glared at him.

"Listen, all I will say is if Nick Fury is offering you a job, I would highly consider it." Tony said and walked out of the barn. I gave the bag on final punch and I groaned. I walked back to the house and straight upstairs once I saw Steve sitting on the couch with Cooper and Lila talking about something, I wasn't sure what or that I even cared. I went upstairs and took a quick shower. As I was in the shower the bathroom door opened.

"Hey, we are all going out to dinner. You want to come?" Nat asked and I sighed.

"No, I think I am just going to stay in tonight, maybe order some pizza or something." I said peaking out from the curtain and she nodded.

"Okay, well have fun." Nat said and I looked at her confused as she left the bathroom. I finished my shower. I walked out of the bathroom in a towel and headed to my room to get on some pajama shorts and a tank top. I gabbed a book from my room and headed downstairs to the porch to sit on the porch swing and read. As I opened my book to read I heard someone come walking up behind me and I gauged their closeness. Once they were close enough I whipped around and lunged at them. They grabbed my waist and pinned me against the wall of the house.

"It's just me." Steve said and I gave a sigh of relief. Steve's body was flush against mine. He had my arms pinned to my sides and he wasn't moving. His face so close to mine. He was looking into my eyes and I saw how blue they were but I also noticed the little bit of green in them. Steve cleared his throat and released his hold on me and took a few steps back.

"Sorry for trying to attack you." I said and he huffed a laugh.

"I should have made myself known, sorry." Steve said and I went back to sit on the porch swing and he joined me.

"You didn't go to dinner with everyone?" I asked and Steve shook his head.

"No, I just thought I would stay home tonight." Steve said and I nodded.

"Same here. I haven't been feeling myself lately and don't think I would be good company for a whole bunch of people." I said and Steve sighed.

"Since Fury offered you the job?" Steve asked.

"Does everyone know?" I asked.

"It was going to be apparent when you took out Rumlow." Steve said and we laughed.

"I just don't know....this is your life, clints life...all of yours lives...is not for me." I said and Steve nodded.

"Trust me I get it. It's not for everyone." Steve said.

"Haven't you ever wanted anything else in life?" I asked.

"The guy that did went into the ice 75 years ago but I think another man came out." Steve said and nodded. We were silent for a minute.

"I was going to order in some pizza for my dinner, you want to join me?" I asked and Steve nodded.

"Sounds great." Steve said and I smiled. I got up and we walking inside and I ordered us some food.

****************************************************************

Later that night we were eating dinner and there was a knock on the door. I got up and answered it. Before I could even react Max was busting through the door and had me pinned against the wall.

"You think you can just leave me a note with the ring and say we are done?! We don't work that way! I don't work that way! We are in a relationship so we talk shit out! You are mine Miranda!" Max said holding me by my throat against the wall. I brought up my leg and kicked him between the legs, he released my hold and I moved. Steve grabbed my arm and pulled me away from Max. He walked up to him and grabbed him by the throat holding him against the wall. I looked and Max's feet were off the ground.

"She said she is done with you so she done! You will not come back or have contact with her ever again! You come anywhere near her you deal with me! You got that?!" Steve asked gruffly. Max was coughing, gasping for air.

"DO YOU UNDERSTAND ME?!" Steve yelled again in his face. Max nodded and Steve let him go.

"Get the fuck out Max." I said as he got up from the floor. Max gave me one final look and then walked out. Steve closed the door and I rushed up to him and hugged him.

"Thank you." I said

"Language Andie." Steve said as he hugged me back. I quickly pulled away.

"Sorry, about the language and the hug." I said and he shook his head.

"It's okay." Steve said and I sighed.

"I didn't know he would come back." I said and I was shaking Steve grabbed my hand and pulled me back to the couch to sit down. He put his hand under my chin and lifted my head to look at my throat.

"I don't think it will bruise, but just keep an eye on it." Steve said and I nodded.

"Can you check the back of my head? It hurts where he banged it on the wall." I said and I turned around and Steve looked to make sure I was okay.

"Everything looks good." Steve said and I turned back around.

"Thanks." I said and he nodded. When I turned I realized how close we were again and Steve started to move in closer and I back up.

"I think I am going to go to bed. You good to lock up?" I asked and Steve nodded.

"Yeah, I think will go to bed too." Steve said and I nodded.

"Where are you sleeping since you have been here by the way?" I asked and he pointed to the couch.

"The pull out. I'm sorry that thing is uncomfortable." I said and he huffed a laugh.

"It's perfectly fine." Steve said and stood up. I noticed something fall from his pocket and then rolled onto the floor from the couch and it popped open. I grabbed it before Steve could and noticed it was a compass and had a picture of a girl in it.

"She beautiful Steve. Make sure to hold on to her." I said and smiled at him handing it back to him. I grabbed my book and quickly walked upstairs to my room shutting the door. I leaned against the door and sighed. I was unsure what this feeling was inside of me. This stupid knot in my stomach. I just needed to go to bed. I crawled into bed and grabbed a pillow to hold on to my aching chest.