Chapter 13

A few days later Laura and the baby were home and everyone was adjusting to newborn in the house. One night Nat and I offered to have the baby in our room and take over so Clint and Laura, who were like zombies could get some sleep. I heard the baby start to cry and I sighed knowing it was my turn to get up and feed him. His bottles were downstairs and I could have killed myself for not bringing the formula upstairs. I picked up Nate and he seemed to slightly calm down.

"Let's go downstairs so we don't wake Auntie Nat." I whispered and I walked downstairs carrying Nate. I walked into the kitchen and made a bottle. I looked in the living room as I walked in and saw Steve laying on the couch sleeping and I smiled.

"Uncle Steve is sleeping..." I whispered to Nate as I sat down in the recliner in the living room.

"No, he isn't." Steve said and I smiled as he sat up.

"Sorry, did I wake you?" I asked and he shook his head.

"No, I don't sleep much." Steve said and I nodded. Steve patted the bed next to him offering for me to sit with him. I got up from the chair and moved next to him. We were sitting up with our backs on the back of the couch. Steve handed me the burping cloth from the table closest to him.

"Thanks." I said and he smiled. He looked down at Nate and smiled.

"He is so cute." I said and Steve nodded in agreement.

"I am bias though, he is my nephew." I said and Steve chuckled. I shivered slightly and Steve grabbed his blanket putting it over me.

"Thank you." I said smiling.

"Welcome." Steve said. I looked at him and sighed.

"Okay, I told myself I wouldn't push but come on Steve what did you want to talk to me about before Fury called you in Washington." I said and Steve huffed a laugh.

"Haven't forgotten about that have you?" Steve asked and I shook my head.

"Out with it Captain...." I said and he sighed.

"I hadn't planned on asking this way but I don't know any other time to do it since you are asking." Steve said and sighed.

"Andie...I like you. More than Clint's sister and friend, I think I have made that pretty clear lately but if I hadn't I'm sorry. The reason I took you to meet Peggy was so you could see who she was and she wasn't someone I was still attached to, so you could see I'm not attached to anyone." Steve said and I smiled at him.

"Neither am I, what a coincidence." I said sarcastically and Steve smiled shaking his head.

"That's the thing Andie, I know you aren't and I wasn't sure when would be the right time to tell you that I like you. I want to get to know you more. I know you don't like the Avengers and may not like me having the role as Captain America but I'm hoping you could overlook that." Steve said and I sighed.

"Steve..." I said noticing the bottle was finished and I set the baby up to burp him.

"Listen, I don't want you to feel obligated...-" Steve started to say.

"I like you too Rogers." I said and Steve smiled.

"Really?" Steve asked shocked.

"Why do you think I got so upset when I saw the picture of Peggy?" I asked with a small laugh.

"I should have figured, I think somewhere I did which is why I took you to meet her." Steve said and I smiled.

"So where do we go from here?" I asked and Steve smiled at me.

"Well I would love to take you on a date eventually, before we to the new compound in New York." Steve said and I smiled.

"I would like that." I said and Steve smiled. I got a few burps out of Nate and smiled. I grabbed the bassinet that was downstairs by the couch and placed him in it. I then put my head on Steve's shoulder and snaked my arm through his taking his hand and he smiled down at me.

"You are going to fall asleep Andie..." Steve said.

"That's the plan iceman." I said and he chuckled.

"Not that I want to complain but don't you want your bed?" Steve asked and I shook my head.

"Not when I am going to have to change his diaper in about an hour." I said and Steve sighed.

"And for being a super solider, your shoulder is pretty comfy." I said and he sighed with a smile.

"Sleep princess." Steve whispered and I smiled.

"I like that nickname." I said and drifted off to sleep. I was awaken by a baby crying about an hour later. Steve had his head resting on mine and we both woke up.

"I got to change him." I said and Steve sighed and removed his head from mine. I got up from the bed and grabbed the diaper bag.

"Can I use the bed?" I asked and Steve nodded. I laid Nate down and changed him.

"You're a pro." Steve said watching me. I smiled at him.

"I was here when Lila was born and watched Cooper. I've had enough practice." I said and Steve nodded.

"You ever even held a baby Captain?" I asked and he chuckled.
"I have, never for longer than a few seconds for a photo op. It was most during my Star and Stripes tour days." Steve said and I nodded.

"Well, now you get to hold one longer." I said and he looked at me shocked.

"You can't break him Steve." I said and he chuckled. He got more comfortable and I showed his how to put his arms and he did. I laid Nate in his arms and I noticed he was instantly not squirmy and calm.

"Woah..." I said and Steve looked at me.

"What?" Steve asked.

"Usually only I can get them that calm. You succeeded me." I said and Steve smiled.

"Captain America: baby whisperer." I said and he laughed.

"There one for the museum." Steve said and I laughed. Nate started to get fussy and I took him from Steve. I started walking with him and humming a song. He instantly calmed down.

"Okay well I think I will head back upstairs...." I said not really wanting to leave.

"You could stay." Steve said and I smiled.

"I would but when Nate gets up again it's on Nat to take him and what kind of friend would I be if I didn't let her get up with him." I said and Steve chuckled.

"You are so thoughtful." Steve said and I smiled.

"Good night iceman." I said.

"Good night princess." Steve said and I smiled as I headed up the stairs. When I reached the top of the steps I ran into Clint.

"There is my baby." Clint said and I laughed.

"You thought I kidnapped him?" I asked and Clint laughed.

"Well I thought maybe you and Steve took him to have your own family." Clint said and I shook my head but smiled.

"He is too cute, I might just do that." I said and Clint laughed.

"Steve or Nate?" Clint asked and I smiled shaking my head.

"Who says I have to pick." I said and headed to my room. I put Nate in the basinet and got I bed. Nat turned in the bed and came up to be face to face with me. She smiled at my smile.

"Andie and Steve sitting in a tree. K-I-S-S-I-N-G...." Nat said in a sing song voice. I shoved her.

"Shut up and get some sleep. Nate will be up soon." I said and laid on my back looking at the ceiling fighting the urge to go back downstairs.