KINDRED SPIRITS

Vsar expected different answers from a simple and straightforward "no", to a "totally no, you fucking idiot"... and... everything in between. Of course he had hoped for a "yes"... a man could hope, even if it seemed pointless..., right?
But now...when she offered him one, he was utterly speechless.

"Aren't you going to say anything...?"

The sound of her voice brought him back to the here and now, and he suddenly realized that he hadn't said a word after she had more or less accepted his proposal.

"I'm sorry, I was a bit taken aback by your answer..."

A grin appeared on her lips and she chuckled softly.

"Yeah, ...I'd noticed... It looked like your brain froze instantly... Did my answer surprise you that much?" Her grin turned into a broad, endearing smile, to his surprise he found himself returning that smile.

Perhaps it was the twinkling in her eyes when she smiled, or the humor in her words, Vsar couldn't quite put his finger on it, but he felt that, if no obstacles were to arise, he and this leader, no..., this woman, would get along well, and the burden that he and the other Tároc brought upon themselves seemed to have become a little less heavy...

"Honestly? I expected a lot, especially different kinds of refusals and although I hoped for a positive answer, I had absolutely not taken it into account. That's why I was also surprised by your answer, but I look forward to working with you, to create a future where both our species can live and work together."

"Yes, well..., so do I, but like I said before, first I have to make sure my clan, at least the majority of the women feel that same way. If not..., well than I can't go through with your proposal... We would have to postpone the idea..."

"I agree..." Vsar leaned back a little and crossed his arms, the metal of his prosthetic arm clicked against the abdominal plate he was wearing.

"Please enlighten me with your answer, but... I can't shake the feeling that you've been thinking about this sort of solution yourself, haven't you?"

He noticed the colour of her face deepen to a bright red, "Well wasn't this interesting, she had..." and he was curious if she would tell him the truth or lie about it.

Should she tell him the truth or not?

Ellen sighed. "Yes... I did, but idea always had one big flaw, our fiscal differences."

She raised the small device he'd given her in front of her, looked at it and then turned her gaze back to Vsar.

"Over the next few days I will be reviewing the details you have so kindly provided me with, in the meantime I'll try to find out how the women of my clan feel of this proposal... but remember it will initially be about a collaboration between our species, nothing more than that..., get that into that big skull of yours!"

With the words leaving her lips, Ellen realizes how agressive her words must have sounded and she turns a deep red.

Vsar chuckled at her comment. "Even though my skull is pretty damn thick, your words were clears as water and I understand where you're going..."

His long, razor-sharp teeth are clearly visible through the broad grin.

"...and I completely agree with you. If we want to get this done right and secure our future, we should definitely not be rushing things."

With his normal hand Vsar reached for one of his pockets again, when his action froze in midair.

"I just want to get something out of my pocket..." He remembered how she froze the first time he grabbed something.

Ellen nodded.

Out of his pocket he lifted some sort of a strange kind of wide bracelet, he then got up and walked calmly towards her with his triple stride.

Ellen swallowed, at a distance the being, no correction..., the man, was already impressive, but standing right in front of her, he was downright intimidating and a shiver ran down her spine.

He held out his hand with a questioning gesture, for a moment Ellen hesitated, then she placed her small hand in his huge claw.

His hand closed around hers and immediately he felt her trying to withdraw her hand, her little heart-shaped face had turned pale and there was fear in her eyes..., again...

"Please trust me Ellen, I have absolutely no desire to hurt you in any way..."

Vsars voice was rough and dark, her was aware his voice sounded scary as hell to her and he had to gain her trust at all costs, it was futile for their mutual future, but it was clear that this was going to take some time.
He heard her trembling inhalations, although her face was still pale and she tried to regain her composure, Ellen nodded and he felt her hand slowly relax. This was certainly easier than he anticipated.

Vsar turned her hand in a way that the palm faced down. In his prosthetic hand he had the dark sort of ribbon, and he placed it over Ellen's forearm. To her surprise the band slowly formed around her forearm as if it were a living thing. The ribbon, actually it was some sort of bracelet, was warm to the touch, smooth, thin and flexible very flexible.

The fabric reminded her of Kevlar, but instead of black, like the humans used to wear, it was a bright lime green. On the top of her wrist was an oval shaped dark, green acrylic plate, containing various small buttons and some sort of alien writings.

Ellen admired the bracelet and twisted her wrist in all directions, but it didn't shift or slip, it gripped her forearm tightly but not tight.

"It's a com system, I had it specifically made for you..." Her head shot up at his words.

"I thought you said you didn't expect me to agree?"

Vsar gave her a crooked grin.
"True, but without hope there is nothing... and although I did not expect anything, I was hoping for a positive breakthrough, sue me for hoping..."

His grin was so infectious that Ellen couldn't help but grin back.

"Come, let's get back to our people, they're probably wondering what we're doing..."

All heads turned their way, when the couple finally came walking out of the building.

Ellen noticed her daughter was looking at her from head to toe and her gaze lingered on her forearm, but luckily for Ellen, Nora kept her mouth shut.

The farewell was a bit stiff, because although they had had a good conversation, this didn't apply to their clan members, the animosity was almost touchable.

Ellen watched Vsar's group until they were out of her sight, then she turned to go after her clan members. As expected, Nora was waiting for her with arms crossed, but she didn't feel like arguing with her daughter at that moment and before Nora could say a word to her, she had her hand at her in a dismissive gesture.

"Not now, Nora. I need some time to let this conversation sink in..." and without another word, she walked past her speechless daughter to follow the rest of their group home.