NORA (Part 4)

Although the gunfire had ceased some time ago, they were still not safe from danger. There were a few smaller groups who lived close to the banks of the river and made their living by fishing and transporting others in their boats across the deeper parts. Besides the women there were the alligators... And although Birgg told her not to be afraid of them, all three of them had been injured and the killing machines could smell fresh blood from afar.

A certain movement in the reeds on the bank caught her attention, but before she could warn Birgg, she heard a growl from their companion. A brave alligator had swam silently toward them and grabbed hold of the Taroc's leg. Instead of the Taroc trying to get rid of the monster, the man grabbed the beast's mouth and pulled it open with brute force. Nora heard the jaws of the beast creaked and her eyes widened at the incredible strength of the Shri'Traccal leader, and it made her curious about the strength of the even greater giant who was holding her tight.

After the Taroc got rid of the alligator's body, the trio quickly continued on their way. Unfortunately, the river was not on the route to Vsar and Ellen's camp, and the three had no choice but to get out of the water at some point and continue on foot. It was three long days before they finally reached the border of Vsar's territory where they were spotted by the warriors guarding the border.

To Nora's surprise, they were picked up by one of the larger planes still flying, and as they flew toward the clans, her eyes closed in exhaustion.

From a distance, Birgg watched as the woman was lulled to sleep by the hum of the plane. She looked tired and pale-faced and everything in him wanted to go and hold her, but he held back. Nora didn't want him, she'd made that clear enough, and even though she'd saved his life, he didn't feel like she'd changed his mind about him. Ayek, if she did, she was out of luck, he wasn't going to just accept her!

On arrival, Vsar and her mother were already waiting and Nora expected nothing but an unbelievable scolding from her mother or an icy silence because her mother had always been good at that, but to her surprise Ellen walked up to her and laid her both hang around Nora's face.

"Welcome home sweetie..." The warm look in her mother's eyes made Nora feel so ashamed, and like a small child she began to sob loudly. Her mother's arms felt so safe, even more secure than Birgg's had, and she clung tightly to her mother.

The two days that followed passed like a daze. Nora was informed of all the changes that had taken place during the period of her absence. What surprised her most was the fact that Birgg had become Tároc, but hadn't told her about it on the way back.

"... it's almost time. In the next few days I will have my fertile period, if you then..."

Nora's stomach turned at the sound of the woman's voice.

On the desk were Birgg was seated behind, sat a beautiful dark-haired woman, and both looked at Nora simultaneously as she stepped inside.

"I'm sorry, I should have knocked first..." Red-headed and her throat clogged, Nora turned quickly to walk away.

"What can I do for you Nora?" In the meantime Birg had stood up.

Slowly Nora turned again and tried convulsively to put a smile on her lips. "Nothing special, that..."

"Ohhh, wait I'll leave you two alone." The dark-haired woman smiled at Birgg and started to slide off the table.

"No need Elena, you can stay." He could tell from Nora's face that she was hurt at the sight of the woman relaxing on his desk, and part of him was pleased to see that this was hurting her.

"What is it Nora...?" He looked intently into Nora's eyes, standing deliberately next to Elena.

He watched her eyes slide from him to Elena and back to his. "No, it's really not important." Before he could say anything she had slipped away.