NORA (Part 3)

Yesterday some of the women were particularly excited, but today the whole clan was buzzing with excitement except for her and a few other new women. Because Nora had no idea what was going on, she went straight to her sleeping place after the communal meal, it annoyed her that she was left in the dark.

She'd been chief of security in her mother's clan for a reason, and something inside her told her something was seriously wrong. Tonight she planned to find out. Although she had to give up all her weapons on arrival, she had only two razor-sharp knives hidden so well, funnily enough, in full view of everyone, that the women who searched her had found nothing.

Years ago, when she was put in charge of the clan's security, her mother gifted her a V-shaped pendant that contained two folding knives. Nora had kept these sharp all these years and now they finally came in handy. She looked at the two small but razor-sharp daggers in her hands and smiled, but quickly put them away when she heard her housemate come home.

"Nora? Nora? Are you okay?" Ivy was a young girl who had fled with her mother because her mother had killed a woman in their old clan.

During their flight, her mother had fallen ill and died, and Ivy, just sixteen, had arrived at Nellie's camp a week ago clinging to Nora as if the woman was her saviour.

She reminded Nora of Sasha, and a twinge of pain shot through her heart at the thought of her daughter. She'd hurt so many people...

"It's okay, I just have a lot of trouble with my gut... I think I ate something wrong, nothing to worry about! I'm going to bed so well, I'm sure I'll feel a lot better tomorrow, but thanks for your concern, girl."

"Okay, get well then."

Nora heard the girl go into the bathroom only to come out a few minutes later and disappear into her own room, locking the door behind her.

Lying on her bed waiting for night to come, at one point at the beginning of the night she heard a muffled roar and a shiver ran down her body, that sound...?!

No... she was imagining all sorts of things... But a nagging sense of unease remained and she was glad when it was finally midnight and she could begin her investigation.

From the moment she arrived at the camp Nora had been carefully watching the security and had a good idea of ​​how much security was around and which rounds they were making.

As silently as possible, Nora ran from one building to the next until she reached the last building adjacent to the forest, which was also the building where security guards resided during the rounds.

Waiting for the four guards to begin their next rounds, Nora slipped through the fence separating the encampment from the woods. She quickly ducked into the undergrowth when one of the women turned her spotlight on Nora. Not knowing if she was doing well, she crawled on all fours further into the woods and bet it was the right direction.

When she thought she was far enough from the camp, she got up and crept deeper into the woods. After walking for about fifteen minutes, she heard the laughter of several women, their voices rough and mean, but what troubled her was the muffled grunts and clatter of chains that followed.

When she got close enough to the voices, Nora crept silently on all fours until she came to a small open field where there were three small buildings, two of which had a light on in them and the last one quite at the back was completely dark.

Nora crawled closer to one of the lit buildings, to just below a shattered window, and looked carefully through the window.

An unexpected rage welled up in her when she saw the badly beaten body of a dead Shri'Traccal man. Although she had often fantasized about killing Shri'Traccal after Liam's death, she was overcome with rage upon seeing the battered body. Even with all the anger she felt towards the Shri 'Traccal, she would never have gone so far as to torture the men.