Cardiff Is The New London

Cardiff was nice. I mean, we arrived at night but there were some pretty streetlights ahead of us. Sean said we could do some tourist stuff for a couple of days, take our minds off things. Since we weren't sure how long we'd be there, school and a flat was probably going to be necessary. I mean, it'd cost less than motels, right? I kind of felt like we were Sam and Dean, and Justin in the back seat was Castiel. This pretending thing I'd developed was totally getting out of control, and it was almost worse than a voice in my head- no offence to Justin or anything.

"We'll stop here for the night," Sean said, as we pulled into a motel car park, "then tomorrow we can take a look in the newspapers for apartments, and check out the local high schools. But we can do some cool stuff as well. I know it's not ideal, Jay, but this can work out okay." I smiled at Sean,
"I know," I said, "thanks. For doing all this- I mean, you dropped out of high school for me, and you were an awesome student there, you could've had a future and everything, but you kind of dropped all that. And it means a lot to me." I'd been meaning to get that off my chest for a while. But Sean was kind of like Dean with the "no chick flick moments" thing, so the opportunity never arose. Having Sean around really did help me. I'm not really sure what my plan would've been if he hadn't insisted on coming with me. Sean smiled back and we got out of the car,
"It's nothing," he said, "it's what family's for, right? I mean, y'know, who else was gonna come with you?" Nobody. I knew that for a fact. Mainly because nobody was supposed to know, and they wouldn't have if it hadn't been for me fainting when I found out Dylan was in the flat, but it meant a lot to me that Sean stuck around for so long.

I still don't know how Dylan got into the flat. But my best guess was that when he'd 'been away for a few months' he was just watching the flat. Figuring out what floor I lived on, and probably had other people watching the flat, too. In fact, Dylan probably knew that the flat was empty, and that I'd left with Sean. Which meant Dan and Phil were pretty much unprotected, other than Alex and Luke which he didn't know about. This did mean that I couldn't talk to Dan or Phil over the phone, because Dylan probably knew people who could hack phone lines without a bit of trouble. Emailing might've been an option, but even I knew how to hack emails- which meant that Dylan's network probably did, too. Maybe I could find some other way of contacting them.

Something from Supernatural crossed my mind as I was flicking through newspapers and looking at apartments the next day, but then I realised we'd never discussed a word that meant we were in trouble like Sam and Dean had. Maybe that was what my life was turning into- just one big, traumatising episode of a dorky TV show. Just without demon blood and dick angels. I sighed inwardly and tried to tell myself that everything would go back to normal soon. I'm not sure how much of myself believed that, but telling myself I'd be okay even if I didn't believe it was what kept me going.

"Here's one," I said, prodding the newspaper with a little more force than necessary. After three hours of searching the Internet, browsing newspapers and actually making human contact to ask people about places for rent nearby, I'd finally found a place with enough bedrooms for the three of us, "about fifteen miles from here, it's two bedrooms, but me and Justin can share, it's private renting and it's kind of cheap, I mean, we'd have to somehow save up for a bit but I don't know, maybe we could afford it?" Sean stood up and walked to where I was sitting. He rested his hand on the back of my chair and leaned over me. It felt nice; I felt protected, I guess. Sean was quite a lot taller than I was, and that was nice. Nobody, other than Cam, had ever hugged me so I felt protected like that. Sean wasn't even hugging me, so I don't know why I suddenly let out this breath I didn't know I was holding. Sean made me confused in ways that I found hard to admit.
"This one's good," he said, "we could ring up and go look at it. Speaking of saving up, I had an idea about that." I stood up when I heard my phone go off in my bag,
"What's the idea?" I asked him as I put the passcode on my phone and smiled sadly at the text I had just received.