"Bessica"

"Morning Phil." said Dan as he entered the kitchen. At first I thought he was blanking me, but then I realised Dan wasn't a petty fifteen year old.

He was a petty twenty four year old.

I rolled my eyes as he sat down opposite me, completely silent, instead of his usual seat next to me. I felt ganged up on. He and Phil were sat facing me as if I was in court for murdering someone.
"Mature much, Daniel?" I said sarcastically. It was mainly to make myself feel less ganged up on. Phil looked at me with sad eyes, willing me not to upset him any more.
"Actually, Jane, I just felt like sitting next to my boyfriend for a change. If that's okay with you- y'know, because you run the flat now." He rolled his eyes at me,
"Oh right, yeah, my mistake because you didn't just spend thirteen hours lying on top of him. Apologies, Dan, really." I retorted. I guess I really could be a bitch, although to be fair, Dan wasn't setting a great example either.
"Seriously? It's not like you didn't just spend a week sleeping with your underage girlfriend!"
"Dan!" Phil almost shouted, making both me and Dan look at him startled, "You know you don't actually mean that- we all know that Jay was looking after someone who needed taking care of. You of all people know that feeling." Phil folded his arms as Dan looked guilty all of a sudden. I felt bad, too. I didn't mind that Dan and Phil slept together... I'd been shipping it for at least a year before I moved in with them. I didn't really mind that Dan wanted to sit next to Phil instead...

"Sorry, Dan," I spoke first, "I didn't mean it- I don't mind where you sit, I was just. I was being stupid. And about Jess, I really was just looking after her I swear nothing-"
"Jay," Dan interrupted, "I know. We trust you. I'm sorry I was an asshole."
"Thank you," sighed Phil, "Now. Jay, tell us what's going on. It's time to talk about it. Don't lie, we know you've been lying about something and it's not small. So just tell us, get it over with." Dan nodded in agreement. I took a deep breath in.

"It's Dylan," I said, "he's with my mum again." Dan and Phil didn't say anything, their expressions stayed neutral,
"He's with my mum again... and he's blackmailing me- sort of. He said that if I don't come and see her every month... he'll hurt the people I love," Dan looked angry and Phil looked as if I told him that his lion onesie shrunk in the wash.
"He'd never hurt my mum, she's not the problem here, and he knows that although I love her, I love other people more. I love you two, and Jess... I can't let him hurt you- not ever. I have to protect you, you saved me and now I need to save you. I'll keep going back. I need to, to protect you and Jess." Dan took everything in slowly and looked at me,
"Has he hurt you since you've been going there?" I knew this was the important question that determined whether or not I'd actually be going back.
"Well... no. Not really."
"Not really? Or yes but you don't want to tell us?" Phil questioned me. I sighed,
"Yes," I said, "but it wasn't too bad, just a couple of bruises here and there. Nothing serious."
"It is serious, Jay. And I'm calling the police." Dan said, pulling his phone from his back pocket.
"What? No! You can't. It won't make a difference. Dylan knows people from all over the place. He'll get them to come for us but I won't be able to stop them because I don't know them. Don't, Dan! Please don't. I can't lose you. I can't lose any of you. I need to keep fighting. You fight for the people you love, Dan. I'll protect you. Please, just let me think of something..." Dan shook his head and Phil took hold of my hand,
"Jay, listen to me, we need to inform the police. Blackmailing is a criminal offence in this country, and so is child abuse. Dylan should've served time before but he was bailed."
"And he can get bailed again, Phil! He'll just have one of his psychotic friends hold us for ransom or some shit. Don't do it, please."

Dan and Phil took a lot of convincing. I'm not sure how I did it, but eventually Dan put the phone away and agreed to let me think of something. I probably guilt tripped him, but I know it's exactly what any of you would've done.