'Cause All The Good Times, They Give You... Disappointed Foster Parents?

"Okay, Miss Lester, we just need to ask a few questions. Is that okay?" There was a man in Police uniform stood beside me. I didn't nod.
"Can you call my parents?" I asked, "My phone isn't charged and I don't want to answer anything without them present. I'm not sixteen yet." A small smile crept upon his face.
"You're not in any trouble, we just need to know a few things, that's all. But as you're not sixteen, we'll call them so they know you're here. It's fine." I nodded then. I only wanted Dan and Phil there because to be honest with you, I was scared shitless.

I learned some very important life lessons that day.
1. always charge your phone. If it's not charged, don't leave your flat. Or your girlfriend's care home.
2. always check your phone is switched on.
3. Don't talk the talk if you can't walk the walk.
4. Tell your parents or guardians or whoever where you're going- or where you are- tell Satan for all I care, just let someone know.

So... yeah I was at the police station. Now before you get the wrong idea- I didn't kill anyone. I'm not saying I didn't come close, but y'know, I didn't actually kill anyone that time.

Okay so you're probably seriously wondering why I'm at a police station considering I was at my girlfriend's house the night before. It wasn't my fault, I swear. I mean... the black eye and broken wrist might have been a little bit my fault but no way in hell was I owning up to that shit.

~twelve hours earlier~

I woke up to the sound of my phone ringing at about three in the morning. I knew it was either Dan or Phil.

"Hai Dan," I whispered, I heard him sigh in relief and tell Phil I was okay, "I'm sorry I didn't call to say where I am, I fell asleep."
"Jesus, Jay, me and Phil have been up all night. Where are you? I know you said you were going to see a guy from school but I know you're not there now." I wondered how he knew, but I'd ask him that later, I'd already worried them enough.

A wave of guilt swept over me as I imagined Dan and Phil squeezing each other's hands until their knuckles were white, panic stricken and tearing their hair out.
"I'm with Jess at the care home." I whispered, Jess was still sleeping.
"Okay. Do you want me to come and get you or are you going to come home in the morning?" I hesitated for a moment and then smiled. My mum would've been furious that I wasn't home- if she'd noticed, that is. I said I'd come home in the morning and apologised to them both- I really hadn't meant to fall asleep with Jess. I wondered why Sarah hadn't told me to clear off.

Maybe she had.

Maybe I hadn't heard her.

"It's okay, Jay. We were just worried that's all, see you in the morning. We love you." Dan hung up. I felt pretty bad and decided I would try not to worry them anymore for a week.

Or maybe a day. That seemed more likely.

I crawled back under the duvet with Jess and cuddled her. I fell asleep almost instantly. As I was drifting off I remembered that I needed to plug my phone in. I'll do that, I thought, I'll do that right... now...

If I had actually done it, I probably would've escaped a lot of hassle the next day, and a good few panic attacks. I would've missed being stopped for questioning by the police. And I probably wouldn't have broken someone's wrist. I mean, I might've done that anyway. I would've missed a lot of trouble. The problem with London is there's always a chance of being in the wrong place at the wrong time. I was. I definitely was.

I woke up after Jess the next morning, she was using her laptop. The sound of police sirens filled the air suddenly. They disappeared almost as fast as they'd appeared, fading out like the sound of a wave that got lost at sea, it's voice drowned out by all the others.