Chapter 21

I head back to the police station to grab my stuff. I'm not meant to stay there. Especially if Bruce now knows what happened. I walk inside and keep my head down.

"Jersey!" I look and see Jim. Shit. I'm screwed!

"Hey... what's up?" I ask.

"I just wanted to make sure you're okay. Did you see him at all?" I know who he's talking about. My brother.

"Nope." I lied.

"Okay, good. We have cops all around to try and find him." He says.

"Thanks." I whisper.

"Anytime. Just make sure you stay away from any dark areas. And don't be on your own." He says.

"I know Jim, I've been through enough of this shit."

"Right. Sorry." I shrug after he apologizes. After a few seconds, he breaks the silence. "So... have you heard anything about Bruce?" I freeze for a moment after he asks.

"I mean... people said he's returned. But this city is so messed up, I don't know what to believe." I say.

"I'd believe that." We both look to our right and see Harvey. "I saw Bruce this morning."

"You did?" Jim asks.

"Yeah. But he was with someone..."

"Who?" I ask.

"Selina Kyle... And to me, it looks like they're together." Harvey whispers. That little fucking traitor. I thought he loved me. I thought he cared for me.

"You're joking, right?" I ask.

"No... And I think he just got back." He says. I space out for a few seconds and tear up. Why would he do this to me? Was it just to get back? Does he really love her?

"Jersey?" I snap my head up and look at Jim. "Are you okay?"

"Y-Yeah. I'll be fine. I'm gonna go..." I turn around and walk out of the police department. This day just could not get any worse.

1 hour later...

Breaking News! Recent couple Bruce Wayne and Selina Kyle almost had to say their goodbyes! Selina was almost shot by an unknown person! If you have any details on what occurred, call the GCPD!

Wow. What a nice article! I wonder who tried to kill her... Oh well. I've done enough police work. I'm not doing it again! You know what. Who needs Bruce? Not me! I think it's time to give up on this city for good. After all, I'd either be seen as the hero or the villain. Let's not take a chance on which will be the truth.

I walk around the city and admire all of the horrors of it. The places that I could've gotten killed at. The places that I was hurt physically or mentally. And the places where my family lie, dead or alive. Now that I think of it... would it be worth staying on my own? With no one by my side? I mean, the cops will figure out eventually. And that just means I'm done for. But wait... what if they can't find me? What if I find someone to join?

I grab my wallet and find a taxi. I tell the guy to just drive on the outskirts until I can find a spot. As he drives off, I lean my head against the window. After a while, I fell asleep. In a few minutes, I slowly wake up after hearing a gunshot. I look in the driver seat and see someone drag a body out and hop in. The door to my left opens and someone hops in.

"Looking for me?" Jeremiah asks as he chuckles.

"Actually... yes. I am." I say.

"Alright, are we taking a trip to Arkham? Is the Bat boy going to come attack me?" He asks.

"No. The complete opposite, actually. I quit." I whisper.

"Quit what?"

"Trying to be on my own. I think it's time the 'hero' takes a little turn in their life." I smirk.

"Uh, I'm sorry, what?" He asks.

"Looks like you're going to have another buddy by your side!" I say. After a few seconds of thinking, he smiles big and starts laughing like crazy. And I just tag along.

I may regret the decision I make.

But at this point, family is more important than anything.