Chapter 11

The cops drag me out of the car and into the police department. I keep my head down as I enter to avoid eye contact with anyone. People stare and start whispering and questioning why I'm here. One of the cops throws me into the cell while the other locks it. After a few minutes, I find Jim entering the department and walks over to Harvey. I shout for them both and they walk over.

"Yes?" Jim asks.

"Did you find anything out?" I ask.

"No, I didn't. But I do need you to follow me." He unlocks the cell and starts walking to the interrogation room. He opens the door and we all enter. I sit down with my hands still cuffed together. "Alright, here's how it's going to go. If you answer honestly, we'll be done fast. However, if you refuse to answer or we know you're lying, you'll be here for a while. And we're not afraid to play 'Good cop, Bad Cop." Got it?"

"Got it."

"Alright first things first, where were you the night of the incident?" Harvey asks.

"I-I was just walking around Gotham. Then I went to Bruce's."

"Really? Because it looks like you didn't show up to Bruce's until the day after." Jim says. I freeze for a second then laugh nervously.

"W-Well I mean- What I meant to say was I stayed at my apartment then went to his house."

"What's your address?" Harvey asks.

"I-I don't remember. I just moved in."

"Why are you acting so nervous?" Jim asks.

"Well, I don't want you thinking I did something wrong. You might think I'm lying, which I'm not." 

"We never said you were. Anyways, have you heard of this orphanage before?" Harvey asks.

"No. Never heard of it." I say quickly.

"So then why did the person who turned you in tell us you did know?"

"I don't! Why would they even think that?" I yell.

"Because you've been to one before." Jim says.

"N-No I haven't." I start to shake and tear up.

"Yes you have. When you and Jerome were younger, you went there a few times. Once because of an argument, and the other times your mom sent you there."

"But that doesn't mean anything! It could be anybody from there! Plus, why blow it up when I was only there for a while?" I ask.

"That's what we're trying to figure out. So tell us Jersey, why did you blow it up?" Jim asks.

"I didn't do it, Jim. Why don't you believe me?!"

"I'm not saying I don't! But until we have more evidence, you're guilty!"

"Wait, if I was accused of this, then who turned me in?"

"He did..." The officers start to leave and someone enters. My eyes widen as I gasp. It was Jeremiah. My own fucking brother.

"You?" I ask.

"That's right Jersey. That night, I saw you sneaking there and you walked out with a smile on your face." Jeremiah chuckles.

"Why would you accuse me? Just because I didn't join you?! Because I didn't want to turn bad?!" I shout.

"So that the officers could figure out who did it."

"I didn't do it!" I yell as I slam my fists on the table.

"You think you can just get away with this? I know what happened to you that night!" Jeremiah shouts.

"What are you talking about?"

"Who do you think made you act and feel all strange?" Of course he did it.

"I know you tried to make me insane! Guess what? It didn't work!"

"That's what you want people to think! And to think you were the innocent one." He starts to laugh and walk around.

"I am innocent!"

"Then turn yourself in. Tell the truth!"

"I am telling the truth." I clench my teeth.

"Really? Who do you think made you do this?"

"I knew you did. Question is why? Why turn an innocent girl mad?"

"So you can be like us now." He grabs a cloth and wipes his makeup off. "I've already taken my mask off, time to take yours off." He hands me the cloth and I scoff.

"I'm not wearing a mask."

"Then you should have no problem with wiping your face." Shit. My hands start to shake as I wipe my face. Nothing. I sigh and start chuckling.

"Told ya. I'm not hiding anything!" I say. Jeremiah starts laughing and grabs something out of his pocket.

"You're not hiding anything? That's funny. Ha ha ha! Maybe this will help out!" He sprays something in my face. I start coughing and cover my face. I fall to the floor and struggle to breath. "Don't fight it! Show your true self!" He shouts. I start feeling different all of a sudden. Fuck! It's insanity gas! He starts walking out and laughing. I shout for help and the officers run in. At that point, it's too late. The insanity gas kicked in. I start laughing like crazy as they drag me back to the cell. After a few minutes, the gas fades away. I started crying when I realized what I've done. I've become just like my brothers. I still don't get it. Why would they try to change me? Why are the innocent always the ones that have bad things happen to them? I look up at their tv when I hear someone mention breaking news.

"This is just in... The Valeska Twins' Sister Jersey Valeska accused of blowing up the orphanage. Is she as innocent as we think she is? Or did she finally become who her brothers are?" Great. Just great. Now everyone knows.

2 hours later...

I stare at the cell bars for a while until the door opens. Two officers grab me and bring me to Jim.

"What's going on?" I ask.

"Well, you were right after all. You didn't blow the orphanage up." Jim says.

"Wait, you believe me?" My eyes widen.

"Yes. Now we have proof it wasn't you." Harvey says.

"What's the proof?" I ask.

"Well, someone turned themself in. They were in a disguise that made it look like you." Jim says.

"Who turned themself in?" I ask.

"Hey girl. It's been awhile." I turn around and see my best friend standing right there.

"Barbara?"