Chapter 10

The next day...

I rang the doorbell at Bruce's house. Bruce opens the door and his eyes widen.

"Jersey! I'm so glad you're okay!" He gives me a hug.

"I'm glad you're okay too. I'm sorry I acted out on you two yesterday." I say as I look down.

"No no no. I'm sorry for what happened. Selina feels so bad right now."

"It's fine. I knew she was upset and she didn't mean to."

"So, are we good then?" He holds out his hand.

"We're good." I shake his hand.

"Awesome! Well, we should head inside. Just so no one tries to hurt us."

"Right. Let's go." We walk in and Alfred is in the living room staring at the t.v.

"Master Bruce, there's something on the news that you might want to see."

"This is just in! An orphanage is now burning to the ground. No one knows the cause of it yet, but some suspect that it was burned on purpose. If you know anyone who was near the orphanage at the time, call the police department." The reporter says.

"Oh my gosh! You don't think it's anyone we know, Jersey?" My eyes widen as I continue to stare at the screen. "Jersey?"

"What?" I ask quickly.

"You don't think it's anyone we know, do you?"

"N-No of course not. Why would it be?" I laugh nervously.

"Are you okay?"

"Yeah! Why do you ask?"

"Well, you're acting strange."

"Oh, just thinking about what happened. Hopefully no one died from that." I say.

"Yeah, I hope so too." It became silent for a few minutes. "Can I ask you something?"

"S-Sure."

"I've been thinking about this for a long time.. How come you're always protective when it comes to your siblings?"

"You want to know the truth?" I sigh.

"Yes, please."

"The reason I'm so protective is because they... saved me."

"Saved you?"

"Yeah. It was when we were in high school. Right before they graduated..."

Flashback-

It was the night our mom figured out I destroyed Jeremiah's acceptance letter. I was in my room reading a book.

"JERSEY!" I hear my mom scream. I flinch and put my book down slowly. My mom kicks the door open and slaps me in the face. "What is this?!" She asks as she holds up Jeremiah's teared up letter.

"I-I don't know." I whisper.

"You don't know?! This was in your jacket!" My eyes widen. Shit, I forgot it was in my jacket.

"I-It's a letter from a college." I say silently.

"Why is it teared up?!"

"I-I didn't mean to. I-I thought they rejected Jeremiah."

"Rejected?! Since when did ANY college reject him?! He's smarter than most people in this city!" I start tearing up and regretting what I did.

"I-I'm sorry-"

"Admit it! You ripped up his acceptance letter!"

"Fine... I did." My mom punches me in the face. I fall to the ground and start to cry.