02. then you contained your laughter, what a shame

"And that's how you solve it."

"I would never have guessed. Yet I know the formula, I just don't know when to apply it." You sigh in desperation, and Mirabel nudges you gently.

"It's okay. Maybe your brain just isn't made for maths."

"Well, yeah, I figured. I still feel stupid, though."

"Because you are."

You turn to Mirabel, acting offended. She is smiling, biting her lower lip not to burst out laughing. Cute, even though you would have liked to hear her laugh.

"How dare you-"

"Mirabel ! How dare you !" Camilo enter the room, dramatically putting a hand to his forehead and falling to the floor, next to you. "You refuse to do your math homework with me, yet you do it with (Y/n) ?! The betrayal !"

"Oh, yeah ? That's because (Y/n) actually tries, while you just want to copy it." Mirabel rolls her eyes, closing her copybook before Camilo can look at it. "You have to put some effort into your work."

Camilo sulks, looking at you, then his cousin, before shrugging and returning to his bubbly self. "Well, anyway. You were supposed to help us clean."

"We did ! We cleaned this room." You argue, showing off the flawless floor and windows. Camilo eyes the room suspiciously, then realizing there was nothing to say about it. It was perfectly done.

"Alright, alright."

There's a silence during which he thinks about what to say, looking up at the ceiling blankly, as you and Mirabel put your stuff back in your bags.

"You girls have been in there for a while, you know ? Everyone went home already."

You and Mirabel exchange surprised gazes. "Well, time flies when you have fun !" Mirabel laughs, and you snort.

"Maths are so fun I might die." You ironize, and Camilo nods, seemingly serious. Then, you realize if everyone left, then it means it must be late already, and your sisters are probably waiting for you at home. "Oh, shoot. I think I have to go. Thank you for helping me out, Mirabel ! Happy birthday again !"

You run out of the class, leaving the two cousins alone. Camilo turns to Mirabel, raising an eyebrow.

"(Y/n) remembered your birthday ? I thought you didn't tell anyone because of your gift cerem-."

"I guess she remembers the date a bit too well. My ceremony made a lot of noise." Mirabel shrugs, flashing him a sad smile. "But it's alright coming from (Y/n), it's just sweet."

___

"(Y/N) !"

"YEAH SOL, THAT'S ME !"

"(Y/N) !"

"RITA ! MY...FAVORITE RITA IN THE WORLD !"

"(Y/N) !"

"ESME !"

The three of your sisters assault you as soon as you come home, the twins hanging onto your arms and Esme hugging your waist. You sigh, trying to advance towards the kitchen as they don't let go.

"We thought you died." Rita snuggles into your...forearm.

"Really ?" You raise a questioning eyebrow, Esme finally letting you go so you can sit down at the table, in front of the glass of water they had prepared for you.