19. the tower ?

You wake up at 7AM the next day. That was unexpected. But you kind of had to find what was going on with the magic.

You had talked with Mirabel the previous night after she was done with Julieta, and you had both decided you weren't going crazy. Thus this meant something was wrong.

You then left with your family as the twins couldn't stand up anymore, too tired from running around all night. Your mother couldn't carry both of them.

There was just a small problem. It was a Sunday, and your mom never took anyone to work on Sundays. You had to figure out how to handle your sisters today.

As you climb down the stairs to eat your breakfast, you find Esme, Rita and Sol waiting for you at the kitchen table, in an unusual silence.

"Uh... Hi ?" You try, taking a seat while grabbing some bread.

"Hello, sister." Esme solemnly talks, making Rita chuckle. "My two fellow... colleagues told me about yesterday. And we have come to the decision we believe you, and that the magic is in great danger."

"Why, thank you. Why are you talking like th-"

"I hereby declare you free of your big sister obligation for the day, and I pledge to watch over the twins until sundown and more if needed. This will be kept secret from Mother Dearest, as we will get to bed before she comes back tonight, and from Father Dearest, who doesn't care anyway."

You look at her, puzzled. She seemed rather confident in her capacity to handle the twins. Sitting on both sides of her, Rita and Sol smile innocently. Those were the most dangerous kind of smiles.

"Alright, girls. I accept, because of the situation, but there will be some rules. Pay attention."

The three of them lean over, ready to take mental notes.

"Do not approach the furnace. I'm looking at you, Rita. Don't steal the snacks, mom would notice. I'll give you some extras if you behave. Do your homework. Sol, you haven't finished your redaction. Don't blow up the house. There are some leftovers in the fridge, so don't try to cook anything. Will that be okay ?"

They nod.

"Good. Now, the most important thing : you have to listen to Esme. She's the one in charge the moment I leave this house."

"Okay." Rita says, and Sol agrees. They both stand up and walk to you to kiss your cheek and wish you good luck, before exiting the room.

You stare at Esme, who was patiently waiting for her set of rules.

"You're responsible and reasonable. You'll do well." You just say, surprising her. It was a bit painful leaving the ten years old with her sisters, as it reminded you of the time you were all alone with them for most of the time. But this wouldn't happen to Esme.

"If the twins throw a tantrum, you know what to do." You ruffle her hair as you walk past her. She follows you to the front door.

"I force them to understand each other."

"... Yeah, kind of. Listen to both of their sides of the story, okay ? Thanks, Esme."

You really want to hug her, but you know she doesn't like it, so you lean over to kiss the tip of her nose, as usual. She gives you a little smile before pushing you out of the house.

You sigh, hurrying towards Casita and hoping Mirabel would be there.

___

She was not there. You had searched the whole town, only to find her with Luisa near the donkeys' pastures. Luisa picks up a donkey and pulls Mirabel closer, but you can still hear what she's saying.