09. we watched the sunset together

"I'll stay up until you come home !" Rita refuses to let go of the skirt Mirabel lend you as Esme tries to pull her away from you.

Geez, you were just going to have dinner with the Madrigals. But you understood that she'll miss you, though. She was always glued to you when she could or sometimes when she couldn't, but got bored.

"You have school tomorrow, Ri."

"Then you have to come back early !" She yells as Esme carries her away. Sol gives you and Mirabel a small wave, telling you to have fun.

You didn't feel like going back inside yet, so you and Mirabel sat on the stairs of Casita's front door, watching the sun slowly settle down behind the mountains that protected the Encanto. A light breeze caresses your skin. It was a beautiful scene now that the sky was clear from all of Pepa's clouds.

Talking about Pepa...

"Hola mija !" The Madrigal advances towards the house with a wide grin, holding Félix's arm. She waves at Mirabel before stopping in front of you, trying to remember where she last saw you.

"Tía, that's my friend (Y/n). She was there to help back there."

Pepa's expression changes from confused to surprised, then enthusiastic. "That was very brave of you, chica. You could have got hurt ! Now that I think about it, Mirabel ! Don't ever so that again, it's verydangerous !" She starts ranting about how she now has to find Camilo to tell him he couldn't brave the storms for her anymore, especially when they were as violent as the last one.

Félix winks at the both of you before entering the house, saying he'd inform Abuela you were staying for dinner.

"Funny how she congratuled you for running in the rain but I got scolded." Mirabel sighs, leaning her head on your shoulder. You tense up for a millisecond, wondering how to act normal again, before resting your head on hers. You figured this was a pretty normal thing to do.

"People tend to change their opinions on some actions when it's about a person they love. Your Tía was just worried for you."

"... I didn't think of it like that. You're right, she loves me."

"Well, duh ! You're her niece and you're awesome. How could she not love you ?"

She laughs, nudging you. "Thank you for the compliments, very subtle."

"Eh. Merely stating facts."

"Stop !" She giggles, playfully hitting your arm. "I'm so embarrassed !"

"Alright, alright. I'm gonna keep quiet about your loveliness forever. That means I'm not going to talk much starting now."

"Ah ! I'm sure you'll find other subjects."

"..."

"(Y/n), I swear..."

"..."

"Uh..."

You scream frantically as Lusia magically appears behind you, probably coming from inside the house. She looks rather sorry for scaring you, but you signal her it's okay as you put a hand to your heart, panting.

"Uhm, sorry. Abuela sent me to say it's almost time for dinner."

Mirabel stands up, extending a hand to help you. You gladly take it and get on your feet, and the both of you thank Luisa before heading back into the house.

As you step into the courtyard, you bump into a tall man, the two of you letting out the exact same exclamation before stumbling down in sync. Luckily for you, Mirabel catches you, while the man, who turns out to be her father, is caught by a petite woman, that you identify as Julieta, his wife.