24. ran through a dark place

"Wait, please !" You try, but the guy continues running, taking sharp turns and jumping everywhere. After a particularly impressive jump, you can't help but joke. "Parkour !"

"What ?" Mirabel says, running before you, before going back to chasing Bruno. "Stop ! STOP !"

Bruno suddenly jumps a chasm, too large for you to jump over. He disappears behind a corner, and you both look at each other desperately. You see Mirabel start to gather her courage and before you can say anything she jos, barely making it to the other side. You cheer her up for a few seconds, before jumping it as well. You land in her arms, and you both smile for bit... Until the floor gives away under your feet, and you find yourselves hanging onto a planch by a finger. Below you, darkness hides the ground, that must be very far away.

"No, no, HELP ! HELP !" Mirabel screams as you try your best to push yourself up. After all, you climbed the wall to your sisters' window today.

You're not strong enough.

"CASITA !" Mirabel desperately calls. "CASITA?! HELP US ! HELP US !"

You can't do it anymore, your hand is too slippery. You have to let go, and Mirabel catches your waist, but this only makes her let go.

"NO !" You say, terrified at the idea you had caused both of your deaths. But Mirabel is caught mid-air by a small man, who looks at her with big eyes. That's Bruno ?

"You're very sweaty." He says, and the ground falls from underneath him as well.

You all scream, but you're able to catch a loose board, and most importantly Mirabel, by the waist like she just did with you. She grabs Bruno's hand, retaining him from falling to his death.

Now you had the weight of two people to carry. You weren't Luisa. It would be nice if one of you found a solution before all your strength was gone.

A rat pops up on Bruno's shoulder, startling Mirabel and making her let go.

"Oh no !"

Bruno's scream doesn't last long. As both you and Mirabel look down at the void, he stands up next to you and moves his ruana around, dissipating the fog that kept you from seeing the floor, not far from your feet.

"Uh." He says, before climbing back up with you and Mirabel's help.

He looks at his niece for a long moment.

"Bye."

He walks away, making you snort unknowingly. Mirabel follows him, confused.

"What ? No, hold on-"

You walk behind her as you chase Bruno, who hurries in some weird corridors, avoiding passing under a ladder and knocking on wood.

"Knock, knock, knock. Knock on wood."

"Tío Bruno ?"

"Knock, knock, knock. Knock on wood. You weren't supposed to see that vision, no one was. A little salt."

He throws salt over his shoulder, hitting Mirabel in the face. You snicker as she coughs it out her mouth.

"But-"

"Sugar."

This time the sugar hits you, and it's Mirabel's time to laugh. You wipe it off, embarrassed.

Bruno continues walking, jumping over cracks and muttering things. "Sana sana, colita de rana."

You follow him into an area with lots of cracks, that seem to have be patched up. You frown.