41. the two remaining stars

Two year later. You and Mirabel are 24.

"Rita, hermana, how do I not die ?"

"I dunno." The sixteen years old shrugs. "Keep breathing ?"

"Good idea, good idea. I'll keep that in mind. Okay..."

You finally open the door that had rung two good minutes ago, revealing Mirabel, all dressed up for your date. She smiles at you, and you do your best to return it and act normal while Rita basically has to push you outside, handing you the basket of food before slamming the door in your face.

You glare at the door for a second, regaining your cool before turning to Mirabel, a bit more relaxed.

"So, how was it today at the shop ?" You engage conversation as you both make your way to your date's spot, hand in hand.

"Oh, it was fine. Lots of new orders, I'll surely need Rita's help... And Óscar and Marta paid me a visit, we had lunch together. How about you ?"

"Eh, the usual. Kids love me, which is rather nice, if I do say so myself. I miss when Mrs. Melendez was around, but they certainly don't. Most of them were afraid of her."

Mrs. Melendez had decided to follow her dream of traveling the world to find new inspirations, and left you with the charge of teaching all of her classes, but also a reasonable salary. You couldn't refuse that offer, it was almost too good to be true.

"She scared me at the beginning, too. But then she accidentally hit her elbow on her corner of her desk and let out the funniest scream..."

Mirabel keeps talking, and you take long looks at her, trying to stay calm despite the light dizziness in your stomach that kept growing, informing you you were nervous. You didn't need that to know though.

You put your hand in your pocket to feel the little square box and wrap your fingers around it. You couldn't lose it.

Finally, you arrive at your favorite date spot, the top of the hill you had taken Mirabel to years ago. Almost all the crystal stars you had tied to the tree's branches had fallen, only three remained. You sit under the tree, Mirabel opening your basket and admiring the food while you nervously squeeze the box in your pocket.

"(Y/n)." Mirabel shakes her hand in front of your eyes to catch your attention. "I've been talking alone for the last five minutes and you haven't listened to any of the incredibly interesting things I said. Eat."

She almost shoves a sandwich in your mouth, and you bite into it, swallowing with difficulty.

"You almost killed me here, thank you very much." You say after drinking some water to stop choking on the bread. She shrugs, and now that she got you attention, starts telling you her story all over again. You manage to get interested in it, despite your mind constantly going back to that little box.

The sun is setting down already when you finish eating, and Mirabel sets an arm around your waist as you lean against the tree to look at the scenery. You rest you head on her shoulder, wondering when to ask her the question. Then you realize, if you keep waiting for it, the right moment will never come. So you just start speaking.

"Uh, Mira..."

"Hmm ?"

Gosh, you loved it. Her little hums, her hair against your cheek, her arm around your waist. It was still time to stop and kept it all the same. You could still not take the risk.

"So, you know that I love you, right ?" You awkwardly start, pulling slightly away from her so that you can face her. She chuckles.

"Yeah, I figured."