30. finding hope again

You decided to continue writing in the notebook, and to start a new one where you'd write everything new you learned. Forgetting something for the second time would be really stupid.

Before falling asleep, you look outside the window to the almost finished house. Mirabel called it Casita, and told you it used to be alive, thanks to the magic.

You found that weird.

___

You were in a dark place. You knew it was a dream, because you remember falling asleep, but it all felt very true to you : the cold ground under your bare feet and the fresh air on your skin.

"(Y/n) Muñoz." A voice sounds, making you jump.

"Y-yes ?"

"It is I." A creature suddenly appears by your side, extremely tall, so tall that they have to bend down for you to see their face. They have horns, light blue eyes, a white gown and long, clawslike nails. You can't help but shiver as they smile, patting your shoulder.

"Yes ?" You repeat, terrified.

"Oh, I forgot. You lost your memories. I go by the name of Barbara."

"Oh." You say in a trembling voice. "It suits you."

They laugh, a sound similar to crystals colliding. First impression gone, they seem way nicer.

"What's going on ? I know this is a dream, but it feels so... real ?"

Barbara sighs, standing back up again. "It is a dream, in which I decided to intervene. See, (Y/n), we have met before, but you don't remember me ; I am the one who took your memories from you, so that I could bring you back to life."

"Alright." You shrug.

"I see it didn't change you much."

"Couldn't know, I don't remember how I was before."

"I guarantee you act the same to me."

"Good to know. So why are you here ?"

"Yes, yes. I came here to tell you that I have negotiated with my superiors, to make it easier for you to remember everything. The previous deal was rather unfair, you would have been stuck with a poor memory for the rest of your life, so I put a word in for you."

"That's... Very nice. Thank you."

"You are welcome. Now, it should be easier for you to remember, never completely, but you should have some flashes of your past life."

"Mhmm." You don't feel too happy about it. You're completely lost, and if the frustration of not remembering something fully was better than nothing, it still felt incomplete. "Thank you, Barbara."

They smile, bend down to pat your shoulder one last time, and start to fade into the darkness.

"Hey !" You call, and they stop in their tracks. "Are you just in my head ?"

They just smile mysteriously, leaving you with even more unanswered responses. You sigh, upset at your past self for forgetting everything. How could you forget your whole life ? Most importantly, how could you have it all back now ?

You forgot this dream as soon at it was over anyway.

___

You wake up in a cold sweat, the moonlight lighting up your room and making it possible for you to distinguish who was clinging into you.