04. that day I got my first best friend, and it was you

"Good job, (Y/n)." M. Diaz says as he hands you the math homework you had done with Mirabel. "Looks like you understood that well, keep going like that !"

"Thank you, M. Diaz." you take the sheet of paper to see you got a full mark, something that never happened in the history of math. You silently squeal, looking for Mirabel sitting in her usual seat. You flash her the biggest smile, quietly thanking her. She answers with a solemn salute, a proud smirk making its way to her lips.

It was Wednesday, and you could already notice a change in the way the both of you acted. Ever since that time you spent cleaning the kids' classroom, you and Mirabel often gave each other knowing looks when one of the random topics you talked about that day was brought up. You greeted each other with a smile and sometimes had small talks.

You were glad you were growing closer to one of your classmates, especially Mirabel. You had observed everyone in the class, you liked to observe, and Mirabel had caught your attention. She was always nice and willing to help, even though she was quite discreet and seemed to be keeping a certain distance from the others.

"Well, everyone, I'm quite hungry, so let's go have lunch. I'll see you tomorrow." M. Diaz states when he is finished with handing back the papers. You had literature and art in the afternoon, and that wasn't his subject, so he was going to go home and sleep, because he was exhausted.

"Hey, (Y/n)-" Mirabel starts, about to ask you if you wanted to have lunch with her.

"(Y/N) !" Rita enters the classroom, running, and hugs your legs. "Come on, we're hungry ! Esme and Sol are waiting under the big oak, in the courtyard."

You pat her head as you take your bag, in which are the sandwiches your father had made for all of you. You were in charge of carrying that too, since the twins had, more than once, gotten hungry before noon and eaten everything by 10AM.

"One second, Ri. Sorry, Mirabel, you were saying ?"

You give her a warm smile, waiting for her to speak. She retreats, remembering you always ate outside of the cafeteria with your sisters. She didn't want to step in and bother your family, and she had to eat in the lunchroom, since she did not bring her own meal and today's menu was soup, which was hard to eat outside. She never dared to ask Julieta for lunch to bring to school, not wanting to add work to her mother's already busy day.

"Oh, nothing. Just wanted to say congrats for the homework !" She says with a smile, to which you answer with excitation.

"Thank you so much ! I couldn't have done it without you, that's for sure. If you ever need help with something, don't hesitate to ask me ! I'll do my best, so I don't guarantee perfection, but I'll try."

She laughs, and you are about to ask her to have lunch with you, to thank her with one of the extra sandwiches your father made, but then you realize maybe she doesn't want to spend time with you, even less with your sisters she barely knows. You cowardly back off, waving at her as Rita gets impatient and grabs your skirt, dragging you out of the classroom.

"Rita, that was rude." You comment as your sister ignores you, driven by her state of intense hunger.

___

" 'Your rudeness baffles me. He said'..."

You sigh in boredom as you doodle on the back of your worksheet. You liked literature, and you were quite good at it, but you were currently studying a book you had already read, and you didn't really agree with the teacher's way of approaching the plot. And the rhythm of the class was really slow, Mrs Nieves making sure everyone understood by repeating what she said multiple times. She was nice and committed to her job of teaching, but rather strict when grading.