Chapter 3: The First (2nd) Years meet Haku

A peaceful morning had turned sour when four students were awakened rudely by a text message at 5 a.m. from their, not-so-sensical instructor. That wouldn't have been so bad, truthfully that wasn't the rude part of the morning. It was what followed after the text message that soured their moods. Loudly bursting into each of their dorm rooms with a frying pan and wooden spoon, Gojo Sensei went around clattering the two together, raising all hell as he shouted at the top of his lungs, "RISE AND SHINE!"

         Now, at around 6:30 a.m. the four first year students sat in their dismal classroom, exhausted and irritated as they had to stare at their teacher not knowing what was so important this early in the morning. As if waking up his students before dawn wasn't enough, he got on their nerves even more by staying still and silent as they waited impatiently for him to begin.

         The first to break being Maki, as she couldn't stand the unbearable situation any longer, she snapped, "Sensei. You've been standing there staring at the back wall for five minutes. Why'd you ask us to meet here if you aren't going to talk?"

         "To set the mood! Everyone could use dramatic tension," Gojo Sensei joked, wiggling his fingers to add unneeded pizzazz. Given the situations the students are thrown into daily, most teetering on the verge of life-or-death often, the last thing any of them needed was 'dramatic tension'.

         Inumaki rolled his eyes, "Okaka," he muttered. It's highly possible he could've done more to express his displeasure however, the only visible part of him was his eyes so that's all anyone could see him do.

         Even Gojo Sensei, as dense as he could be, could feel he wasn't receiving the anticipated energy of the room and decided to try once again to raise their spirits, "Alright— Everyone here is lame but I hope you'll liven up for this announcement."

         The students remained silent and unresponsive.

         "Your new classmate is standing right outside that door!"

         Finally, a sentence that caught their attention, but not in a great way. The mood intensified— Maki, as she reached down for her hip and gripped the handle of her sword tightly. It seemed she hadn't forgotten the nasty shock of Yuta's introduction not too long ago. Inumaki and Panda have also visibly tensed up as well. It's Gojo Sensei, it will always be incredibly difficult to tell just what kind of surprise he had waiting opposite the door.

         The only relaxed person in the room, surprisingly, being Yuta. It could be described best as a genuine curiosity since he can still vividly remember his own introduction that happened in a situation similar. Yuta straightened his posture slightly in his seat, even though it wouldn't change anything, he wanted a better view of the doorway.

         The impatient foot taps have turned into anxious leg bounces as the four eye the door intently. Many seconds passed and it became increasingly clear that the door would remain shut. Gojo cleared his throat obnoxiously loud, "That's your cue to enter!"

         Without change, the door remained firmly closed.

         "Sensei, if this is a prank, we're a bit too busy for that right now," Maki snapped as she released the hilt of her sword's handle, sitting back in her chair since it seemed the possible threat wouldn't come to pass.

         Inumaki and Panda also slouch back down in their chairs. The tension from earlier was dissipating. Only Yuta remained firmly attentive in his seat; he held onto the belief that a new student would actually walk through the door.

         Gojo sighed greatly as he let out a groan of dismay that his surprise was being ruined, "Damn— What a brat... Hurry up and get in here! They don't bite!" He yelled towards the door.