Chapter 16: It's Hard Work

With diligent care from Ieiri, in about a week's time the students involved in the Eichen House incident had made a full recovery. Training could resume once again and just in time for their afternoon sparring, the four first years had been stretching on the field when Gojo Sensei came strutting towards the group with a familiar figure beneath his arm.

"Oi, look alive everyone! Look who I have with me," Gojo called out to them as he waved, pointing to the person he had tucked beneath his grasp.

Immediately, everyone stood up, "Haku!" Yuta called back with a smile.

As the two who joined late met up with everyone, pleasant smiles went around their circle with the exception of Haku who kept their neutral expression as always, but one could argue their eyes seemed a bit softer now compared to their glassen, hollow look from early days of meeting. Politely, Haku bowed reverently but that was the extent of their exchange in greeting. Everyone else was not as shy, fully engulfing their small frame in a large hug since it had been so long since Haku had joined the rest of the first years on the athletic field like this.

Gojo smiled warmly seeing just how well Haku was assimilating into life here. "No rest for the weary, we're here to train. So let's get to it," with a sadistic grin, enjoying the thought of watching chaos and pain ensue. "This sparring session is individual— all five of you fight for yourselves. The last one standing will not have to endure extra training from me later. As always, no cursed techniques, this is pure martial arts only with wooden weapons."

The five nodded in understanding as they picked up their wooden poles and took to the field, distancing themselves equally. Maki couldn't help but steal a glance Haku's way, remembering the last time they stood on the field like this. Although, unlike that time, Haku visibly appeared alive now as they spun the pole around in their hands— like they would their scythe, testing it's weight. She restrained a grin wanting to make it's way to her smile as she remained focused on the task at hand, assessing the circle and the most obvious threat at the moment.

"Begin!" Gojo Sensei commanded, and on his word— the students swiftly took off for the center; the action.

As Maki expected, Yuta came for her first; boldly swinging for her side as she dodged; fluid as water. Instantly locked in a one-on-one battle, they persisted but no one payed them any mind. Panda and Inumaki ran straight for Haku, and they too were quick to react. Haku powered forward with speed as they dug the tip of the wooden pole into the ground, acting as a lever to vault themself high into the air above the two incoming attacks. Despite the change of course, Panda and Inumaki weren't ones to be fooled so easily. Proving they too could defy gravity, they leaped into the air; Panda lashing out with his paws first as Haku leaned back— flipping head over heels back down to their feet as they landed crouching down low.

Like a snake they stayed close to the ground, going for Inumaki and Panda's feet as they landed not long after Haku. Inumaki jumped lightly as the two clashed poles, clicking upon impact as they traded hits back and forth; Haku's eyes never leaving Inumaki. With Haku distracted, Panda rushed from behind in attempts to take down the student, but as Gojo Sensei's trainee for the past two months— that would be a challenge. At the last second, Haku jerked their shoulder to the side allowing their body to seek refuge in the ground. Rolling off to the side as Panda hastily collided with Inumaki for a split second before regaining balance.

"Nice one!" Panda smiled, even more excited to continue. Inumaki nodded in agreement. Haku remained sternly focused; the fight was long from over and far from staying this easy.

The three of them now had new company as Maki and Yuta's previous one-on-one fight was being brought to the three of them. The two charged for the small group as everyone prepared for the incoming onslaught. A danger it was, attacks persisted at precise speeds that left no margin for error; one false misstep or error and it would be the end, knocked unconscious for unknown lengths of time that no one wanted to test out. In the scuffle, Maki and Haku came face to face once again; the thought of dominance burned passionately in their glaring eyes as they fought.