Chapter 39: An Uneasy Feeling

October 8th, 2018
Approximately 9:17 a.m in a secluded village in
South Africa.

         "Hey Okkotsu! A letter came for you."

         In the resident hall, Yuta, who had just made his way down the stairs to report for his usual morning talk with Miguel, was slightly surprised to hear those words leave his trainer's mouth. "A letter," he repeated for clarification.

         Miguel nodded, "Yep, from the address it looks like it's from Japan."

         "Japan?"

         "Hey kid— you gonna mimic every word I say like a parrot or open the damn thing already."

         Miguel set the letter on the table and took a seat. Yuta walked over hesitantly, racking his brain for just who could have sent him a letter; not many were made aware of his address overseas. His first thought was his good friend, Haku, who absolutely refused to use any sort of electronic communication— they hadn't grown up experiencing many devices, as they said when asked countless times about when they'll get a phone like a normal student. But that was one of the things Yuta found charming about Haku: their naive cluelessness when shown random gadgets or modern devices would always be a novelty to witness.

         Though Haku spared no hesitation to keep in contact with Yuta by unconventional means; they used Shiro— the first ever shikigami paper doll they had ever created. The two exchanged countless words using Haku's clever method for communication that was more heartwarming than anything else Yuta had to hold near to him while he was overseas.

         So for a letter to show up at the residency was unusual to say the least and upon inspection, the return address only gave clues that it was sent from Tokyo Jujutsu High. As if he were handling a bomb, he carefully peeled the sealed opening to fish for the contents inside; the single sheet of paper, typed. Firstly, his eyes scanned the document loosely, only interested in the closing address to see who had written it. Signed, a name he hardly ever expected to find on a letter.

         Miguel noticed the sudden change in expression on his face and his brows furrowed as he asked, "What's wrong kid? You look like you just saw a ghost dance on the paper or something."

         "The letter was sent by Gojo Sensei," Yuta replied weakly in a state of disbelief.

         "Satoru?" Miguel, now also taken aback, asked.

         Yuta didn't look up, but nodded as he read the letter's contents in full detail this time. The more he read, the more visibly distraught he appeared. Even his hands had a slight shake to them as his eyes fervently rescanned the document to be certain that he hadn't misread a single detail.

          "I'm being asked to return to Japan," he started slowly.

         Miguel sat back in his seat, doubt settling deep in the wrinkles of his forehead, "For what— why now?"

         "There's a concern regarding Itadori— the new first year and cursed vessel of Sukuna, Ryomen," Yuta replied, looking at the letter once again. "Apparently his body is no longer capable of containing the Special Grade Cursed Spirit and he's begun to terrorize, not just the resident students on campus, but local towns at the foot of the mountain."

         "That kid Satoru was going on about when he was here, yeah?"

         Yuta nodded, but tilted his head in perplexion, "That's the thing... Gojo Sensei was just here a couple weeks ago— he went on and on about how he's a candidate for execution, like how I was. But according to him, Itadori is doing fine and exhibiting no problems, just a lack of control and refinement of their cursed energy usage; that's nothing time and practice can't fix though."