Chapter 4: Yuta and Haku's Solo Mission

The first years took two separate cars, Ijichi accompanied Yuta and Haku and it wasn't long before the three arrived on-scene of the cornerstone, dilapidated house. The shabby two story building's appearance gave it the image that with one strong storm, it would collapse at any minute. It was a strange mixed sensation that ran through Yuta. The quiet, calming feeling that rested in the background of the classroom had followed him into the car and even here— the ominous building. However, the calm was being mixed with the undeniable feeling of cursed energy that emanated from the house in waves.

"Gojo has instructed me to allow the two of you to wander inside the building for thirty minutes under the protection of a curtain. If within thirty minutes the curtain does not lift and neither of you come out, I am instructed to contact help. Also, Okkotsu— I have been instructed to inform you to not allow Rika to manifest under any circumstances, if it can be avoided," Ijichi warned.

Yuta nodded, "Understood."

"I was given no words for you Namie. My apologies," Ijichi glanced solemnly to the quieter of the pair of students but Haku's expression remained unchanged. Ijichi continued, "I wish the two of you success. I will now cast the curtain and you two may enter."

"Emerge from the darkness, blacker than darkness. Purify that which is impure."

In seconds, the two students walk through the dark shadow that emerged from the sky befalling all beneath its radius. Yuta led the way slowly as Haku followed just a pace behind. The interior of the house was just as worn down as the outside. It was unclear just how long it had been since anyone had stepped within its walls but it had probably been quite some time.

It was a strange sense of responsibility that Yuta had weighing down his shoulders. He knew the two of them were most likely the same age, but as someone who had been a part of the strange circumstances of this world for slightly longer— the sense of responsibility felt similar to that of a senpai. This would be his first mission without the company of his classmates, Maki, Toge, or Panda. It was his turn to put everything they had taught him these last three months into good practice and keep an eye on Haku; someone he still had absolutely no idea how to deal with.

It was quite awkward to roam the building in silence, he not being the type to initiate conversation, Yuta made a shy attempt to bond with the indifferent student with the only common thing he knew they shared, "Ah... As you probably heard earlier, I'm new to the school too. I've been here for about three months now. Everyone is really nice."

Even this gesture of commonality was rejected. Haku remained quiet beside him as the two continued forward slowly. Though Haku remained silent, even facial expression didn't change. It would be no different if Yuta had been speaking to a statue. That fact gave him slight comfort since unlike Maki, Haku displayed no visible sign of disgust if he engaged in conversation. It made it easier to try again.

"Well, I'm not sure if you remember but I'm Okkotsu, Yuta. I hope we can get along during this mission."

Nothing, not even the bat of an eye.

"Are you confident to be on your own? It might go faster if we split up since this building seems larger on the inside than it appears from outside."

As if talking to a moving statue, still nothing of acknowledgement from Haku.

"Come to think of it, I'm not quite sure what your cursed technique is... Namiesan, was it? Perhaps, are you and Toge similar? Does it have something to do with your speech?"

After being rejected three times, Yuta was desperately waiting for anything at this point to reassure himself that his words weren't falling upon deaf ears, "How about head nods? Is that okay? I'm not sure if you're listening to me, that's why..."