Chapter 12: My Good Friend

It had been six weeks, a month and a half without having Haku be a part of the first years' activities. That is, Haku's physical attendance; their shikigami was always present without fail. Although, it would be a lie to say that the students didn't see Haku at all during that time. Occasionally, a once in a blue moon sighting would happen where a student would cross paths with the elusive one. However, each time this happened Haku would run away before a friendly greeting could even be exchanged between the two of them.

Even though no one could get close to Haku, each one of them could always hear whenever Gojo and the student would be locked in an intense training session. It wasn't that they were specifically listening for every sign that Haku might be around, but their training sessions could be heard by everyone in the vicinity without issue. The clashing of attacks reverberated through the densely packed trees of the forrest and came crashing into them with a force akin to tsunami waves if the students were on the field at the time. The attacks would have lost a majority of their intensity by the time it reached them, however that only made it all the more frightening to experience. That made it all the more impossible for the students to try and sneak peaks of the action; eventually they gave up.

Time always managed to fly by, especially when it's least expected to— already being the middle of September; the nights were becoming colder. And just like most nights, Yuta had a great difficulty falling asleep. No matter how much he tossed and turned, tried every position possible, he just couldn't drift off. Instead of staying in his room, staring up at the all too familiar ceiling with cracks he'd already memorized the patterns of, he decided to take a walk outside to clear his mind.

He walked without so much as a destination in mind, just a goal to tire out his mind enough to hopefully get more than two hours of rest. His feet brought him to the zen garden, possibly the best place to try and relax. The moonlight illuminated the water's surface as it glittered with the wind. To Yuta's surprise, someone was already sitting at the water's edge, staring out into the vast escape.

Yuta didn't make a sound or call out to the person, in fear of just who he had stumbled upon. Of all people Yuta would expect to run into on a late night stroll, Haku was not one. Though, it would be incorrect to say Haku was alone at the time Yuta discovered them. Perched on their left shoulder, Yuta could see the shikigami paper doll he was extremely familiar with by now. After having not seen Haku physically for the past couple of weeks, they now sat before him so openly without expressing so much as a single care. Yuta was uncertain if he should proceed with walking into the garden out of curiosity or respect the distance Haku always tried to maintain between everyone.

By now, Haku should've known that they weren't alone anymore. But unlike previous unintentional meetings, Haku remained seated and didn't move or flinch a single muscle. They jusy continued to blanky stare at water's glimmering surface. It was sign that was neither a yes or a no, but Yuta took advantage of the ambiguous gesture and walked forward cautiously. He slowly approached until just  a few feet away from Haku before stopping.

"May I join you?" Yuta asked quietly to not disrupt the peace.

Haku said nothing as they continued to watch the water shimmer in the moonlight. Since Yuta didn't hear a blatant no, he went for it and took a seat beside the quiet student. For several passing moments, neither said anything. The two just purely existed in the company of one another. Strangely, for Yuta, that was more than enough. Haku's energy always managed to calm him down.

"I decided to take a walk since I couldn't sleep. I'm really glad I ran into you. It's very lonely without you with us Kohaku," Yuta rambled without thinking twice, just voicing his thoughts.

Before, Haku wouldn't have believed a single sentence like that. It was difficult to judge just who was lying and who told the truth in a place like this. However, it was in Haku's absence from lessons or being with the other students, physically, that they learned the most about a person's true character.