Chapter 30: Where Angels Fear to Tread, Part 3

"Oh for fuck's sake..."

         The volcanic demon, Jogo, let out a twisted laugh, contorting his face with just how thoroughly he enjoyed seeing the fear steadily creeping upon the students' faces. His eyes settled directly on Itadori as he gave a devilish grin, "If we want to snuff out Satoru, we go for his students first."

         Throwing his hands in the air, Jogo cried out at the top of his lungs, "Let the light leave their eyes— This is all too easy for me!"

         Protectively, Haku took a step forward as they held out their arm, shielding Itadori behind them, "This is your only warning. Leave now while I'm still feeling kind." Their stare held the intensity of daggers as it bore into the eyes of the curses; Haku was deadly serious.

         "The pipsqueak talks! How entertaining!" Jogo cackled, offensively pointing at Haku. In a few seconds, he collected himself enough to let out a sly remark in response to Haku's threat, "Sorry, but we didn't come for a show. We'll be taking the boy now."

         Sinisterly, Jogo's mouth tilted upwards in horribly inviting smile of insanity, "Unless you're stupid enough to challenge us alone?"

          "What makes you think I can't handle two pests? I've already been handling three this whole time," Haku pointed out with an exhaustedly flat tone.

         Jogo scoffed, "You're a fool if you don't consider the Reaper a threat!"

         "That thing?" Haku questioned, pointing to the tattered and cloaked ominous figure that hung limply in the spot between the two exchanging unplesantries. "It looks like it belongs in a children's prop store. Where'd you drag that thing from? Your basement?"

         Haku soared forward without warning, breaking away from the conversation as they sprinted at speeds nearly invisible to the eye. Only to reappear once again behind the shinigami, raising their arm and flexing two fingers, "Sorry, I'll be taking this now." Haku said, looking back at the two curses over their shoulder.

         With a swift, slicing motion a bright white light flashed. A beam that travelled from the tips of Haku's fingers and immediately decapitated the underworld lackey employed and doing the bidding of Jogo and Hanami. The light dissipated into thin air the second it completely went through the puppet Shinigami. Exorcised on the spot, the Reaper crumbled to dust leaving behind only its weapon— a scythe. Scooping up what had been dropped, Haku firmly grasped the staff and turned to face the remaining threats.

         "Oi— kid!" Haku called out, looking over their shoulder to Itadori, "Get to the temple, now! Inform those two and keep the festival attendees inside! Don't you dare take a step outside until I come get all of you!"

         "Haku Senpai I'm not leaving you!" Outraged, Itadori shot back with a passionate fury.

         "What did you promise me on the first day— you're to do as I say, no questions or hesitation!" Haku reminded the first year of the very conversation they eventually knew would be needed. Itadori stood conflicted; he remembered that moment clearly, but he also knew from Haku's appearance, that his senior was in no condition to fight at full strength without serious backlash or consequence to their body. Not a second longer could be wasted as Haku became irritated.

         With the most animated expression Itadori had ever seen from them, Haku yelled, "Run— NOW!"

         Itadori's body moved without him needing to command his muscles to do anything. He sprinted at full speed for the temple, never did he look over his shoulder to ensure that Haku would be okay. He told himself to have complete faith in his senior. His priority now would be completing the task Haku entrusted to him; he had to warn Kugisaki and Fushiguro that things weren't safe any more.