Chapter 31: The House is in Silence

Fushiguro, sitting on his bed and reading a book to pass the time, glanced towards the door when he heard a knocking sound. On cue, the door swung open and in came Kugisaki who waltzed in casually as if she owned the space and took a seat on the floor, resting her back against the side of his bed. Normally, Fushiguro would become annoyed if she did this at any other time, but seeing her now was a bit of a comfort.

         It was more than obvious by her expression that she was troubled by something and Fushiguro knew exactly what that was. She heaved a dejected sigh as she drew her knees to her chest, "Haku Senpai said they'd be back by now but I haven't seen them."

         "About that..." Fushiguro trailed off. "I think Gojo Sensei went to wait for them at the school's entrance."

         Kugisaki's eyes lit up slightly as she eagerly glanced his way, "Should we go too?"

        Fushiguro shook his head, "No. I think seeing us might be too much."

        "You don't think something happened right?" she asked.

         "Consider who you're talking about— I think it would be more troublesome for us to worry instead of having faith."

         Kugisaki let out a small snicker, "Do you always read your books upside down, Fushiguro?"

         Instinctively, his grip on the binding tightened and the bones of his knuckles were prominent. He said nothing as he slowly turned the book it's right way. Caught red handed, his mind was a blistering storm these past three days since he and Kugisaki returned, alone, from the mission on Osorezan. That day, despite the harsh afternoon sun, it was impossible for the feeling of warmth to sink into their bones as their blood ran cold. In the evening, just shortly after Haku regained consciousness once again, the students had to leave with one no longer breathing.

         "The two of you know how to return to school by train, right?" no emotion to be found in Haku's words surrounding the situation, but despite the lack of delicacy, Fushiguro and Kusgisaki still knew they cared.

        Having been through the worst of it all, Haku still stood tall before them, even if the two students were painfully aware that Haku was nothing more than a hollow shell in the moment. Their eyes were distant and vacant, the signs of life had faded from their actions, and the silence that surrounded Haku was more devastating than if they were to speak any more than necessary.

         Fushiguro eyed the slumped mass dangling over Haku's shoulders, "We can come with you..."

         "No." Haku sternly refused. "Inform Ieiri Sensei when you return. I've let Gojo Sensei know already."

        "I can help you carry him..." Once again, Fushiguro offered, seeing Haku struggle slightly as they adjusted Itadori's body to be more aligned on their back.

         Haku lifted their head, looking Fushiguro straight in the eyes, "Accompany Kugisaki. I can't exactly bring a dead body on the train."

         Blunt and straightforward, Haku wasn't ever one to sugarcoat their words. Kugisaki gave them a gentle expression since she knew Haku had the hardest job of all, and not just because they were carrying Itadori all the way back. "Be careful..." she said, concern painted all over her face.

         Haku nodded slightly, "I can't fly faster than the shinkansen, especially not with this dead weight. I'll probably arrive back in one or two days depending on my stamina. Don't wait for me."