Chapter 32: Signal Flags

"Unsurprisingly, our instructor is preoccupied for the time being," Maki announced, clearly annoyed.

The recently returned second years have been back for a couple days and activities are already advancing at a rapid pace. Without prior notice, the second years were instructed to lead the first years in Gojo's sudden absence. No further details were relayed to the four, but Ijichi gave them his solid word that this time the matter involving Gojo was of relative importance and urgency— as he put it.

Lulling her head to either side of her neck, Maki loosened up, "In his absence we'll be taking over the practical Jujutsu course," with her bamboo pole, she jabbed the end through the air to point at Inumaki and Panda at either side of her. "The three of us will be responsible for getting you two into shape for the Kyoto Sister School Exchange Event happening next month."

"Kyoto?! We're going to Kyoto?!" Kugisaki gasped, brimming with joy as she fantasized countless scenarios in her mind all within the fractions of a second.

Fushiguro gave her a light tap on the head with his knuckles, grounding her before she threatened to float off into a dazed imagination. "No. The event will be hosted on our campus here in Tokyo. Our sister school just so happens to be located in Kyoto."

That seemed to have brought Kugisaki back to reality as her bottom lip quivered. She pouted, "Why is it here? I want to travel! I've never been to Kyoto before."

"The event is always hosted on the campus of the previous winner," Maki informed, "Tokyo has won the event for four years straight. Last year was an exception to my understanding. Two representatives from our school travelled to Kyoto instead and won the event. Therefore, it's being held on our campus this year."

"Well who are the jackasses that won and took away my opportunity to travel?!" Kugisaki spat, emotions flaring as she huffed at the air angrily upset at a situation beyond logical reason.

Panda looked off to the side as he warned in a low voice, "I don't think you should be calling Haku or Yuta a jackass if you value your life."

"Haku Senpai was one of the representatives?"

"And Yuta."

Unbothered, Haku was currently lying on their back as they had their eyes closed to fully immerse themself into the fading summer's wind of that afternoon. They laid on one of the steps that lead down to the athletic field and several feet away from the first years who were also taking a seat. Though at a measurable distance, it wasn't a large enough gap that Haku couldn't hear the words being said in a conversation that partially concerned them as well. They showed no interest in the topic, nor any indication that they found Kugisaki's remark offensive.

"Wait— Haku Senpai," Kugisaki called out, leaning over to look past Fushiguro to direct her voice at Haku, unmoving without a care, "if you won last year why aren't you leading our training?"

"Don't wanna," Haku responded in a listless voice.

"Are you suggesting the three of us are inadequate?" Maki jeered, threateningly holding out her bamboo pole towards Kugisaki. "If either of you manage to land one hit on us, we'll do anything you say for a whole day."

Fushiguro brought his hands to his chin as he rested his head. Under his breath he mumbled, "the only person I want to challenge is Haku Senpai."

"No," Haku replied immediately without hesitation. As they took in a deep breath, Haku opened their eyes and sat up, stretching out as if they just woke from a short nap.