Chapter 14: Eichen House, Part 2

"Watashi, kirei?"
Am I beautiful?

A woman's voice, certainly not belonging to Maki, sinisterly hissed from behind them as they all felt their souls leave their body for a split second. Their blood ran cold and every hair on their body stood up as their eyes shot wide open. No one dared to even breathe in that moment before they stiffly turned around.

The room was still dark and all they could make out were vague details of a woman's silhouette. Her arm reached up and with a forceful tug, turning on a light that burned each of their eyes with the drastic change. The students groaned in agony as they shut their eyes firmly; now needing to readjust for brightness. It seemed the room had a light switch after all, right in the center— a glaring design flaw.

Once the students had gotten over the shock, they rubbed their eyes to fully take in the details of their visitor. A young woman, possibly in her 20s with long black hair, that wore a surgical mask that hid the majority of her face just below her eyes. Dressed in a mid red trench coat and black tights, with a demonic aura that rolled off her in waves. She didn't need to say anything more, it was her; Kuchisake Onna.

She was blocking the way to the only exit of the room as she took a step forward towards the group, "Am I beautiful?" she asked again, this time it sounded more like she was demanding an answer.

The students were caught in a dilemma. They were warned to not engage the spirit, however that seemed to be the only way any of them would be able to leave the room.

     Panda took a step forward, shielding the group behind him, "Yes." he answered with a conceited hope that would allow them to leave peacefully.

The woman laughed, reaching up to pull the mask away from her face revealing horrific slits at the corners of her mouth that ran all the way to her ears on either side. She grinned sadistically, revealing her sharp array of jagged teeth, "How about now?" she asked, eyes wide with a maniacal energy.

Maki and Yuta, gripped their weapons tighter as the win an took a step forward towards them, swaying on her feet and laughing hysterically. They all prepared to make a run for the exit.

Inumaki lowered his scarf as he walked up.

"Don't Inumaki!" Yuta warned, but the boy only had his sights on the spirit.

"Get twisted!"

     It was only one command but already, Inumaki was forced to his knees, coughing up blood. The spirit merely twirled around in place once, but no visible damage occurred.

     She continued to grin, "My my, how ugly," she hissed.

      With great agility and speed, she launched herself forward towards the students revealing a pair of shiny scissors she had hidden behind her back. Not wasting a single second, Maki dropped the cursed object on the floor and raced forward in front of Inumaki who still could not get up. She blocked the lunge of scissors with her naginata— her choice long pole weapon.

     "Run! Everyone!" Maki yelled loudly as she struggled with the spirit in a match of strength.

     Yuta scooped the cursed object off the floor and he and Panda ran out from behind Maki to surround the spirit on all sides now.

     "We're not leaving you Maki!" Yuta cried out, charging for the spirit with his katana.

     Panda too advanced to attack the spirit. As the three of them came together, souls blazing with the desire to make it out alive, it was at the last second they all had to jerk away. The spirit had vanished and if they all continued full speed forward, they would've only injured each other instead.