Chapter 2: Spring Semester Goals

E.J's POV:

"What's the goal for this semester son?" I listen to my dad talk while I ate granola and yogurt for breakfast at our dining room table.

"To keep my head up about college applications and get good grades," I roll my eyes at him rewording to him his moto to me.

I hate the family moto: do well and work hard to make your family proud. It's all about the family virtues, which I also don't care about.

"Ok, now go make me proud and don't forget to ask for extra credit," I feel my dad pat me on the back before handing me his car keys so I can drive to school.

I quickly grab my bag from the other seat across from me, then head to his car that he let me drive since I got my drivers license this past summer.

I hate that he has to come with me and sit in the passenger seat. I'm not allowed to drive his car by myself till I'm 18 and I can't drive friends till I'm 21.

Stupid rules.

After a short 10 minute drive to school while listening to my dad talk
on the phone to someone while he sits in the passenger seat, I hand him his car keys then grab my bags from the backseat and head to the main entrance of school.

"Yo, E.J man, what's up? This semester is going to be great. I'm going to ask a senior to be my date to Prom and I'm going to lead the lacrosse team to the final championship this semester. What are your goals this semester bro?," I walk down the main hall and see my friend Chris walk up to me wearing an Under Armour shirt and jeans with his back pack slinging on his arm with three of my other friends in tow.

I totally forgot that juniors and seniors get a prom at the end of the spring semester, I am going to be too busy thinking about the lacrosse games I am going to play in to think about Prom anyway.

"Isn't Prom at the end of the semester? It's only the first day of school. I want to focus on making the Varisty Lacrosse team. And make my dad proud again by getting good grades. You are so lucky that you're a senior. I can't wait to graduate and get out of here. My dad made me apply to Stanford University even though most students don't start college applications till senior year," I go over to my locker to put my gym bag in it and get my textbook for class.

I don't know why my dad is making me look at colleges now.

I don't really want to go to Stanford University, even though I already did early application.

"Yeah, but I need time to think about my date. Girls like it when the guy thinks ahead of time," I half pay attention to Chris talk and look over my shoulder to see a curly head boy walk down the hall with a redhead dude.

Prom is stupid.

"Yeah, I'm gonna ask Alison Murray," I hear my friend Jacob call from the back of my friend group in the hall.

I have a lot of friends. Okay, mutual friends. Perks of being popular.

"Shoot, the bell just rang. I'll see you at later. Let me know if you see a girl who you wanna ask to Prom. I'll give you some tips," I see Chris walk off down the hall to his class as I shut my locker and head to my Statistics class.

"Hey E.J, you're in this class too," I walk into my class and notice that my friend Adam from last semester is sitting in the back wearing a shirt with a rainbow flag on it.

"Hey, it's nice to see a friendly face again. I really like your shirt," I whisper to him as I sit down in a desk next to him and set my backpack on the floor.

"Thanks, not many people in school appreciate the pride flag. I just like to be authentic and I really like graphic tees. Want to trade numbers since we'll probably struggle in this class and need to be study buddies?" I listen to him whisper as the our teacher walks in.

"Sure, that'd be great," I open my notebook and write my number on a piece of paper then pass it to him before I start copying the notes that the teacher wrote on the board.

After our boring math class, I pack my bag and head down the hall to see if i can find that cute curly haired boy I saw earlier but get sidetracked by someone calling my name.

"Yo, E.J! Long time no see. Wanna hang out with the dance team in the student lounge?" I look down the hall and see my friend Aaron from the water polo team I was on last fall.

"Can't, I have AP English class," I walk over to him and hug him since I haven't seen him since before winter break.

"You could cut class to hang out with us. Come on E.J, don't you wanna find a girlfriend this semester? Maybe one who is a popular girl?," I feel him pat my shoulder as we stand in the hall.

"I can't skip class. I need to keep my grades up so that I can get into a good college and make my dad proud. I also really need to go to English class," I try to tell him that I'm not interested in hanging out with the dance team girls and turn towards the hall where my class is.

Before, I leave to go to my next class which I'm probably a few minutes late for, I look over my shoulder and see the same curly haired boy that I saw earlier walk into the men's restroom.

"Your loss, E.J. See you around," I hear Aaron call at me as I walk into my AP English class to see everyone staring at me.

"You're late, Mr. Caswell. Have a seat and take notes. Next time, you are late, I will mark you down" I look up and see my teacher Mrs. Stradler with her glasses on and a stern look on her face.

I quickly nod my head then go take a seat in the back and place my backpack on the floor.

First day of spring semester junior year and I'm already late to a class.

Great.

Hopefully, my dad doesn't find out because he's on the PTA board along with my mother.

*****************

A/N: I don't really have an update schedule. I'm going to try to post 2-3 chapters a week. I'm sorry if my editing is great and the tense and grammar sucks. I have adulting stuff to do and I'm always stressed. Also look out for more authors notes from me bcs I explain stuff