Chapter 54: Don't let go of my hand

E.J's POV:

It's April 29th which means that the "Our Night to Remember" prom and "You Matter Project" are less than two weeks away. It also means that Ricky will be in Chicago with his Mom in less than a month and a have to make him have the best prom experience ever before he leaves. And finally, the countdown to the prom and the project mean that I am going to do my promposal for Ricky tomorrow aka wendsday after he finds clue four at the library with that creepy old lady who sits at the front desk. But first, I have to deal with my dad because he is back from his work trip.

"Mom, why are you making pancakes? You never cook. We have a housemaid who is basically our chef. And you are never this nice, no offense. You've always been a different kind of parent to me and not to mention the incident from February in the kitchen," I mention to my mom who is at the stove in front of me flipping pancakes and making a fruit salad.

I have to mention the incident where I caught my parents making out at least once a month mainly because we didn't get to talk about it and I don't wanna be that family that ignores the elephant in the room until we die.

I'm trying to 'fix' my parents but unfortunately I know you can't change adults perspectives.

Surprisingly she's doing all of this at 7:00 am.

I figured that I'd just have my mom drive me to school today and not tell her that I quit lacrosse.

And I still have my Letterman jacket because I haven't returned it to Coach L yet.

"Oh there's a PTA brunch later today. I'm just making you and your father some breakfast before you guys head off," I listen to my mom and watch her put a blueberry pancake on my plate as if we don't already have a house maid/ cook.

One day they have Caswell legacy expectations for me and the next day they are trying to be the perfect PTA parents and then another day I catch them making out in the kitchen.

It's like some days I don't even exist and other days they just want me to be a copy of my dad and go to Stanford University.

But that's not what I want and that's why I'm trying to be a different and better person with Ricky.

"Speaking of dad, where is he? Did he go to work yet?" I ask as I wrap my Letterman jacket around my back and take a bite of my pancake.

"I'm right here. Ooh something smells good," I hear my dad from behind me.

"Mom made pancakes. They are really good. I have to head to school in a few minutes. Can one of you drop me off since I can't drive alone?," I finish eating one of my pancakes by stuffing it in my mouth and put my plate in the sink before I tell them I need to get to school.

Because I need to see if Ricky found the clue yet and I just want to leave my house.

"After we talk," I look over and see my dad put his mug of coffee down on the counter and look over at me sternly.

Oh no.

"About what?" I bite down on my lip nervously and touch my orange juice cup that is basically just cold watered down juice since my ice has melted.

I take a moment to glance at the clock that is hanging next to the fridge and notice that it's almost 7:15 am.

At this point, it doesn't matter if I am late to school, my mom has her PTA brunch and can handle my tardiness.

"Why didn't you tell us that you quit lacrosse? I got a call from my friend Coach Lerman that you quit while I was on my work trip and he sounded pretty concerned for you. Also, yes your mom will take you to school. I have work to get to," I watch my dad take a sip of his coffee and straighten his tie as he faces me and stands at the marble counter across from the dining table I'm sitting at.