Chapter 31: A Silly Little Crush?

Ricky's POV:

It's been a good week for me and I hope that I can end it on a good note today at Carlos' rollerskating meet up. Yesterday, I went to E.J's lacrosse game by myself for the first time since Big Red had a doctor's appointment at the time of the game. It was a weird experience sitting by myself but I eventually found Marcus sitting in the corner of the bleachers and went over to join him.

Marcus and I aren't really close friends at all but we talk in the LGBTQ+ meetings. But he hangs out with Jackson a lot so I don't bother to intrude on their conversation

I also find it hard not to stare at E.J in the halls when I see him walk to class. We made a promise not to hang out in school or in public so that we can keep our friendship a secret but I disagree with him. I want us to be a real East High couple like Seb and Carlos. I didn't tell E.J this though because he's still uncomfortable saying that he's bisexual and he still hangs around those homophobic lacrosse guys who bullied me. I think that its all an act but I never say anything to him that makes him uncomfortable or nervous.

"Ricky, stop writing in that journal please. We have to leave now if you want to go to that rollerskating hang out with your friends. I have errands to run and I don't want to be at fault if you are late," I hear my dad call to me from his room where he's grabbing his keys and wallet.

"I'm coming dad," I take a moment and re-read my journal entry then shove it into my desk drawer for safe keeping.

Shoot.

I didn't get to finish my journal entry and I am pretty sure that it has some spelling mistakes but that's okay.

Once we arrive at the roller skating rink parking lot, I hug my dad again then get out of the car feeling too excited to see E.J outside of school.

"Remember 2 pm on the dot Ricky," I hear my dad call to me as I head to the entrance of the rink.

Wow, this place looks so cool.

I've never been here before, I've only heard about it from people online.

"Hey, you made it. Jackson, Gina and Nini are at the table. Big Red and Marcus are at the arcade. Kourtney went to the bathroom to fix her makeup. Trevor, Anna, and Tara are ordering us food. If you have money you can pay them back later. If you want to skate you can get a rental pair by the counter" I see Carlos walk up to me smiling while holding Seb's hand.

Wow. Carlos must be a regular here. And it seems like everyone is here except for E.J and Ashlyn.

Weird.

"Wow. That's a lot. Thanks for inviting me Carlos. I don't really go to hang outs. I just sit in my room and play Mario Kart on my switch or do homework," I mumble to him before heading over to the table to greet everyone.

"Hey Ricky, I haven't seen you around lately. How have you been?" I see Gina let go of Nini's hand to wave at me from across the table.

"I've been okay. Just busy with surviving sophomore year. How's the dance team stuff going?" I try to make conversation with her since she's probably more interested in talking to Nini.