Chapter 10: One word, Detention

A/N: if the picture up top shows up, it will correlate with how E.J's facial expression looks in the scene. Hopefully, it shows up. :/

**************************

E.J's POV:

One word: detention.

I don't know why I'm here.

I was just checking my phone this morning because I was distracted in class because of the incident that I saw between my parents. I don't know why Mrs. Straddler had to embarrass me in front of the entire class and take my phone away for the entire day.

"Um hi, do you um by any chance have another pen that I could borrow? Alright um bye. I shouldn't have walked over here. You obviously ghosted me this morning or gave me a fake phone number. I shouldn't have sent that stupid text. I'm sorry. I'll just uh go back to my seat now. This is stupid. I shouldn't have come up to you," I look up from my desk that Mrs. Stradler told me to stay put on and just do homework or something and notice that the curly haired boy from the other day behind the bleachers is standing in front of me with his hands in his hoodie pockets.

"You're Ricky, right? The boy from the bleachers? The guy who always has extra pens and glances at me in the hall? The one I gave my number to?," I carefully lean over my desk and whisper to him then notice that Mrs. Stradler is nowhere in sight.

She must've gone to her office or something.

And I can't focus right now, it's been a bad day. I caught my parents doing something inappropriate in their bedroom. I got my phone taken away first period and now i'm in detention and missing my first Varsity lacrosse practice as co-captain.

"Uh yeah. I guess so. I left my backpack in my locker. My pencil case is in there so now I'm left with a broken mechanical pencil and I can't believe that you didn't notice me. I have been sitting at the desk in front of the room, the entire time staring at the chalk board that says 'detention' on it," I glance at Ricky's hoodie and notice that he shoved his hands in his hoodie pockets again while staring at me.

I know, everyone stares at me. Because I'm the tallest guy in the junior class and I'm the popular kid.

Fun fact: I hate that I'm known as the popular kid with the parent on the PTA board who donates all the money to the athletic fund.

"Sorry, I had a bad morning and now it turned into a bad day. I've been spacing out all day. And I know that I didn't reply to your text but I did see it. That's kind of why I'm here in detention. The witch I call my teacher, took my phone away," I mumble to the boy who is still standing in front of my desk staring at me.

"Oh, I'm sorry that you're having a bad day and that you got your phone taken away. I hate being ghosted by people, especially my own mother. So um do you have a pen or are you just sitting at your desk doing nothing during detention?," I glance at the boy that I've secretly had a crush on since I noticed him in the hallway on the first day of spring semester.

"Oh yeah. I have a pen," I have to dig through my unorganized backpack for a moment for one before handing one to him.

It's just a simple office pen with my dad's law firm name on it, Caswell Cases etc., but it's the only pen I have at the moment because I grabbed it from his desk the other day when we weren't fighting.

"Thanks, and I hope you get your phone back after this awkward detention period. Um I just want to let you know that the teacher left and a few minutes ago, and said she had to get something from her office. So I guess we don't have to sit here and stare at the board the um entire hour we're here. Ok, I'll shut up now and go back to my desk, thanks for the pen again, E.J," I look over at Ricky and notice that he is shoving his hands in his pockets again and notice that he's got a bad habit of stuttering and mumbling between words.