Chapter 8: Random Numbers and AP English class

E.J's POV:

"Sorry I'm late Mrs. Stradler. Here's my note from the office," I walk into my third period class feeling embarrassed about being late and place the late slip that I got from the front office this morning.

Long story short, I had to get a late slip because I saw something that I wasn't supposed to see this morning which caused me to start and argument with my dad about the sex talk.

It's his fault for making me run late to school.

I've never been late to school before but this time. I got so mad at him, I didn't even wanna drive with him to school. I just sat in the car and put my air pods into ignore his apologies.

There's no way that my father can apologize for having sex with my mom while his only child is in the kitchen getting ready for school.

Yeah, I'm his only child but that doesn't mean that he gets to ignore me, have sex with my mother in the kitchen, tell me to apply to Stanford, then do his own adult business without me.

I know about these things. I took health class last semester.

I don't even want to talk about the birds and bees or colleges with him and I don't even want to go to Stanford University.

I don't know why he made me apply so early.

I'm only a Junior.

My life isn't perfect even though I'm Mr. popular kid who has a parent on the PTA.

People don't know the real me.

"Today we will be talking about chapters 1-4 of Lord of the Flies by William Golding . It's an American classic," I zone out while Mrs. Stradler talks at the front of the room to the rest of the class.

I can't even listen to half of what she says, instead, I pull my phone out from my pocket and glance at it under my desk and notice that I have one new message from an unknown number.

Aww that Ricky kid that I've been staring at since the first day of school finally texted me. This little text just made my day 10x better because I was wondering when he was going to text me after we met the other day.

I just had a sliver of hope that he would text me since I didn't get his number.

"Mr. Caswell, you know the school rule. No phone in class, especially in my class. Are you researching F. Scott Fitgerald by any chance? Or else I'll have to give you detention," I look up from my phone and shut it off quickly before she can read the text.

"Uh no m'am. Sorry about that. I'll put my phone away," I mumble to her and watch everyone stare at me from their desks.

"Please hand me your phone. You can have your phone back after detention. Detention is in here after school at 3:30, don't be late Mr. Caswell," I listen to Mrs. Stradler call me out in front of the whole class.

Wow. That was embarrassing.

I watch her take my phone away and go back to the board to teach.

So much for being the popular kid who has parents on the PTA.

I can't believe that I already have detention and it's only the first week of February.

"Hey cuz, just a friendly reminder that I have crochet club today and that I can't walk home with you since we live across the street from each other," I walk out of class with my head down when the ball finally rings and bump into my cousin who has Honors English class in this same hallway.

"I can't today. I have detention after school," I walk with her down the hall trying not to get noticed by my Lacrosse friends and whisper to her about what happened in class.

"You what?!," I listen to her talk and put my hand over her mouth quickly and watch Chris walk out of a classroom holding a girls hand.

Since when does he have a girlfriend already?

"Shhhhhh.. no one can know. Especially my lacrosse and senior friends," I whisper to her than walk over to Chris and pretend that nothing happened during last period

"Hey what's up Eej, my man. This is my girlfriend, Tristina. She was a cheerleader last fall and is captain of the dance team this spring. Maybe you'll find a gir when the dance team performs during the first lacrosse game half time. Heard that Coach already put the list up. Congrats dude! You're our new co-captain. Can't wait to be captain along side you," I feel Chris, who is supposed to be my best friend pat me on the back way too hard then watch him kiss this Christina chick or whatever her name is, in the middle of the hall.

"Cool. I'm happy for you two. I can't believe that I got co-captain. Hey man, will you let coach know that I won't be at the first practice today? I have a thing with my dad today after school. You know father son bonding," I pat his shoulder lightly and head towards the direction of my next class since we have a 5 minute break between 1st and 2nd period.

Of course, I got the co-captain position. My dad probably asked Coach L if I could be on the team.

It's a fricking Caswell thing: Privelege.I hate it.

And the whole getting free stuff  thing because of my school popularity and the fact that my parents are on the PTA board.

"Ooof, good luck with your dad. Coach L won't be happy since he picked you as co-captain this season and you're not gonna be at the first practice," I watch Chris walk away with his new girlfriend holding his hand.

I hope that they don't make out in class because I have to see Chris during 5th period.

And this semester he doesn't seem to be focused on being my best friend/ mentor anymore.

He seems too busy with senior girls to help mentor me since my dad isn't a very good role model/ mentor.