Chapter 7: The Best Day of My Life

A.N: If I haven't already stated it, Chapter 6 and so on were  set in the first few week's of Febuary until I say that there's a time  skip. Lacrosse try outs are usually the first week of Febuary so let's  make detention that same week and this chapter the day after detention.  Sorry for the confusion. I don't know how to make the time skips clearer  for my readers.

**********************

Ricky's POV:

"Hey Ricky, will you be okay yourself for a day? My office is making me go on a work trip to Atlanta for a meeting and unfortunately, I can't bring you kiddo. But your Aunt May is coming over after school to watch you till I get back after this short trip. I'll be back before you know it," I look up from where I'm eating a bowl of honey Nut Cheerios at our very small kitchen table to see my dad wearing a business suit carrying his work backpack.

"Yeah sure, whatever. Have a safe trip Dad. I don't need a babysitter," I roll my eyes at him since I'm 16, then continue writing in my journal about yesterday, aka the best day of my life.

 I don't need a babysitter," I roll my eyes at him since I'm 16, then continue writing in my journal about yesterday, aka the best day of my life

"Ok Rickster, but don't forget to pack your lunch, there's sandwich meat in the fridge and snacks in the pantry. Also, take that nail polish off before the principal yells at you at school. I know how strict he is about the dress code," I vaguely listen to my dad talk and then go back to eating my breakfast and writing in my journal.

"Bye dad, stop bothering me," I roll my eyes again at him playfully and take a look at my nail polish on my nails to see that there's nothing wrong with it.

I'm showing school spirit.

Red is a school color, my dad should know that. He's an East High Alumni.

"Ok, I'm heading to the airport now. I'm just looking out for you. Don't be late for school," I hear him say before he closes the front door and I finally get peace and quiet before I have to skate to school by myself because my best Big Red, doesn't live nearby so we meet up at our lockers sometimes if we don't wanna take long walks to meet up.

After finishing my journal entry, I place it under my mattress for safe keeping then grab my skateboard and backpack to start my skate ride to school, which only takes about 15 minutes if I rush.

"Good Morning guys," I walk straight into school holding my skateboard under my armpit and give them the biggest smile I've ever shown before then put my had around my friend, Gina and Big Red's shoulders.

"Ugh good morning, Ricky," I look over to my left and watch my new and sadly only gay friend, Gina yawn.

"Why are you so happy this morning? Did you know that most of us highschoolers aren't morning people?" I look to my right side and watch my best friend open his locker and take out a smoothie.

Where does he get this food? I hope that it doesn't just sit in his locker all night.

"Because yesterday was the best day of my life," I sing to my friend in a playful tone and look around the halls fro E.J but don't see him.

He's probably already sitting in a classroom super early or he isn't here yet.

"What did you do yesterday that made it the best day of your life? You practically went AWOL while I went to dance try-outs," I listen to Gina talk and realize that I kinda did leave my friends AWOL yesterday.

Nini and Kourtney went to do their own thing after school and my best friend had robotics team stuff in the library and Gina is right, she had dance team try-outs.

"So, how was dance team try-outs yesterday? Did you make the team?," I try to change the subject since I don't want to talk about this subject anymore in public.

"It was fine. I met so many nice girls. One of the nicest girls I met was this girl, Ashlyn who I guess is my neighbor. I won't find out if I made the team till the end of the week when the sheet goes up. So, what made yesterday the best day of your life?" I listen to Gina talk and watch Big Red drink his smoothie while we stand in the sophomore hallway.

"Wait?! Ashlyn's trying out for the dance team?" I hear my best friend whisper too loudly and watch him put his hand over his mouth because this Ashlyn girl might walk into school any second and my best friend will die of embarrassment if she does.

"Yeah. So, what? And don't talk so loud in case she hears you. She's a sophomore too. I'm surprised you don't have class with her but this is a big school anyway. Bigger than my old school," I listen to Gina talk and look over my shoulder at the front doors for a sign of E.J but instead see Nini and Kourtney walk in fashionably late.

Well they aren't late. The first class bell rings at 7:15 but it's only 7:13 am. I still have 2 minutes to look out for E.J.

And no I still haven't texted him yet . I'm too scared he's going to forget about me and it's just going to be a one time thing.

"Hey guys, what's up?," I watch Nini talk happily as she opens her locker to put her books in it then gives Gina and I a winky face.

Ok, what's up with her? Is it because it's almost February 14th? I hate that holiday so much, it's the day of love. The day my parents don't celebrate and most importantly, it's not a holiday I celebrate because I haven't come out to anyone besides Big Red and Gina yet.

"We're just talking about how Ricky had the best day of his life yesterday while all of us were doing after school activities. Oh and I made friends at dance team try outs," I watch Gina wink at me this time and then hear the first period bell ring just in time to save me from telling my friends what happened yesterday behind the bleachers.

"Oh, what happened yesterday Ricky? I wanna hear all the tea. By the way, nice nail polish.," I hear Kourtney say while standing next to Nini and not even caring that the first period bell rang.

"I gotta go to class before Mr. Mazarra gives me detention, come on Red let's go. Gina already went to the classroom," I tell my best friend and hint to him that I don't want to talk about this anymore and watch Gina walk ahead of us down the hall.

"Ok, I didn't even realize that Gina left the hallway already," I listen to my best friend talk after he takes a sip of his smoothie.

I still don't know where he got the smoothie from. He just pulled it out of his locker.

And why isn't E.J here in school yet? Aren't athletes supposed to be on time for school and not get tardy slips?

Maybe someone saw us yesterday and now he's ashamed to see me since we glance at Each other in the hall all the time.

But the first time that he talked to me was yesterday, so this doesn't make any sense.

Maybe I'm just overthinking about things and need to actually text him to see what's up.

That sounds creepy too though.

I can't text him now, even though he told me that I could.

I'm just some close closeted-gay kid that he met under the bleachers the other day who asked about his lacrosse games and I don't even know if he made the Varsity team or not.