Chapter 46: Caswell Closure and Big Questions

E.J's POV:

I'm still not allowed to drive my friends to school which sucks because that means that I can't drive Ricky to wherever this prom is going to be. I will just have to walk or find some other kind of transportation so that my parents don't find out that I am taking a boy to prom and planning my own prom.

Stupid Caswell rules.

I also don't know how many days there are left till prom. It's definitely less than a month. We meaning, Jackson, Marcus, Nini, and I.

I am still trying to get Ashlyn on board which is why I am at her house early today to walk to school with her.

Like 6:45 am early.

"Hey Ash, can I talk to you?" knock on her bedroom door.

"I don't know can you," I look over at Ashlyn who is doing her makeup at her bureau and has her backpack and dance clothes on her bead.

"Are you mad at me for not giving you credit for that video that I didn't let you post on the project?" I take a seat on her bed and wait for her to finish doing her makeup.

"Maybe. But I am really mad at you because you didn't want to do anything when Ricky was getting bullied," I hear Ashlyn say while she goes over to her bathroom to change.

"Well maybe I was scared to say something," I say to her even though her bathroom door is closed.

I am sure that she can hear me.

We used to have walkie talkies and cousin telepathy when we were younger.

"Scared to say something on the internet when everyone could see that you were standing up for Ricky when one of your homophobic teammates was bullying Ricky?" I hear Ashlyn as she open her bathroom door and grabs her hair straightener from her drawer when she is in her dance uniform.

"Yeah I guess so," I sigh to myself while sitting on Ashlyn's lavender colored velvety sheets.

"That's such a stupid move. If you are going to come out as bisexual, how are you ever going to stand up for someone who is getting bullied for their sexuality? You are just going to let it happen? I posted the video on my Instagram account for a reason. If you aren't going to do something to show that you care about Ricky and queer students who are being bullied than I'll do something. I know that you are doing this whole 'You Matter Project' for him but have you ever thought that other queer students have opinions too?" I listen to Ashlyn talk while I watch her do her hair and makeup.

Wow. That was deep.

I never really thought about how other queer students felt.

I mean, yes I am doing the project for them and to help them feel safe at school but I've never took that in perspective.

Like I just thought that if I made a video and shared student's story's to help others and then show the video to Ricky that boom it would make people feel safe and seen. However, Ashlyn is right. It's much more than taking people's stories from school or making a social media page. It's about standing up for these students like Ricky and taking in their opinions and stories.

Not just listening to them but also doing something about it. Like a prom and stickers and a video isn't enough.

"Ok, so maybe you are right. Would you like to be part of the project again?" I look over at Ashlyn who is putting mascara on again.

Trust me. The only reason why I know what is because I hang around dance team girls, or I used to.

"I don't know. Would I get to do stuff? Like be a president or co-chair or vice president? Would I get demands and instructions from you? Is this project about you showing Ricky that you love him or about you protecting queer students at East High? And would I get to put it on my resume?" I listen to Ashlyn while she fixes her makeup.