Chapter 41: Legends of Zelda

Ricky's POV:

It's been 3/4 of the school day and I haven't talked to or seen E.J since break, but that is probably because I don't have any classes with him or lunch with him. I decided to eat lunch with Big Red, Jackson, Marcus, Trevor, Anna, and Gina for a change since Seb and Carlos weren't free today. Apparently, they have scheduled date lunches every wendsday to organize pride club meetings and talk about drama. Who knew that high school couples could schedule lunch dates as if they were office appointments?

I wanted to talk to Carlos again about his step-dad but he seemed too pre-occupied with Seb to talk.

I like that he's gay and has a complicated family too, it makes me feel seen in a way.

E.J's family is different.

Their white, rich, studious, well-known PTA parents who have different problems than Carlos and I's family's have.

And now, I'm sitting in Creative Writing class with writer's block.

Usually, I have a lot to write about but today is not my day.

"Hey, do you want to come over and play video games and eat pizza tonight? We haven't had a guys night in a while. Maybe it will distract you from whatever you are not telling me about," I feel Big Red tap on my shoulder while I'm staring at a blank notebook page where I'm supposed to be doing today's writing exercise.

"Hmm? Oh yeah, sure. Video games and pizza sounds fun," I give my best friend a half-smile while holding my pen.

Unfortunately, it's not E.J's pen. That one is in safe-keeping in my pencil case.

"What's going on? Is it you know who?" I hear Big Red whisper to me while the teacher stares at her laptop since we are supposed to be doing this writing exercise quietly.

"We'll talk later," I put a finger over his mouth before he says E.J's name out loud in class while everyone is working.

"Ok," I watch him shrug his shoulders and go back to biting on the end of his pencil while thinking about what to write.

The writing prompt today is to write about your favorite place and to describe it.

Seems easy right?

But lately, I'm not sure about what my favorite place is.

It could be E.J and I's spot under the bleachers, my bedroom, the school music room, the skate park, or Big Red's house because that is my second home.

And it's easy to say that my favorite place is the skate park because everyone knows that I always have my skateboard with me but it's also kinda stupid of me to write about that.

And I can't write about E.J and I's spot because that is a secret.

I guess that I'll write about the music room and talk about how Miss Jenn let's me use it and how she trusts me with the instruments. Although, it is easy to write about E.J. I do it all the time in my journal at home.

It's easier to write what I want to say rather than actually say it.

I guess that is why I haven't told him that I love him or want to be his boyfriend yet. I don't know how to say those things out loud.

After sitting at my desk and staring at Big Red's pen for a minute, I finally get an idea and start writing about Miss Jenn's music room. It's like the words just flow out of my mind. As soon as I get an idea, I can write about it for days. And I like this class because it requires minimal effort and most of the participation is by turning in writing assignments.