Chapter 30: He Matters to me

A/N: sorry for all the time skips. I just don't want the story to feel really slow like day by day.  I know that it's already so chaotic with the time of day changing in each chapter.

****************************

E.J's POV:

It's been two weeks since Ricky and I had our first official lunch together under the bleachers. And I've never been happier.

He matters so much to me.

He's like my safe person.

He understands me and let's me take my time while I'm struggling with something like my sexuality crisis or with my dad and his sports talks. Ricky gets me. He's just that kind of person.

He never asks me about college applications or school. He always has something nice to say and asks me how my dad went.

He means so much to me even though we haven't stated what we are in our relationship yet.

Since our first lunch under the bleachers, we've had lunch together  whenever we got a chance to or whenever we can escape our friends. Which is only like twice a week when the weather is nice but I don't mind getting to see him twice a week.

He's always really happy around me and he wears a hoodie to lunch all the time. I think that its the cutest thing ever but it might also be because he doesn't have a heavier coat when it's cold outside.

Ricky has also been to like 3 or 4 more of my games which makes me  really happy since my dad only praises me if we win or if I make a  winning pass. It really helps to have Ricky there since he praises me for doing so well after my games through text even though we've lost all of the  games so far.

I solely blame Chris for our losing streak.

Today, I'm going over to his house again to do homework but I know that we aren't going to get any done since we have other plans. Most of my teammates like Chris would think that these other things would involve other girls or drinking but they are far off from that.

Ricky and I are competing in another game of Mario Kart on the Rainbow Road track. I honestly don't know how he wins every time we play on that track.

It's like he's an expert at it from playing by himself.

"Hey cuz, where are you walking off to by yourself?" I see my cousin walk out of her house that is across the street while I walk out of my house.

"To a friend's house," I wave to her from across the sidewalk and continue walking so that she doesn't question me.

"Since when do you walk to Chris' house? Doesn't he live in the 'Rich' people county?" I watch Ashlyn walk over to me and look at me seriously.

"I'm not going to Chris' house. Now can I please enjoy my walk by myself?"

"Since when do you go on walks by yourself? Whose house are you going to? I thought that you were fighting with Chris? How's your lip and eye doing from that fight?"

"Ash, please don't question me right now. I'm going to be late, he's expecting me,"

"He is?"

"Ricky is. Now can you please go back in your house and pretend that nothing happened? I don't want to be seen walking to his house alone," I blurt out unexpectedly.

"No, I can't go back in my house. what's going on between you and Ricky Bowen? Big Red is best friend's with him. Is there a specific reason why you wanted to name that anti-bullying project 'The Ricky Project'?,"