Chapter 44: Family Expectations and a Plan

A/N: surprise update bcs I got two interviews in two days
**************

E.J's POV:

It has been a crazy week for me. Lots of lacrosse practice, two games, and two losses, also that interesting lunch with Ricky where I tried to get him to open up to me about that voicemail, oh and lots of Spanish homework. Yeah, life is crazy at the moment.

I also haven't figured out how to get Ashlyn back on my side and I don't know how to get Ricky to open up to me. That is one of the reasons why I am having Nini come over this afternoon to talk and do her interview for the project. I need her help with some other stuff.

And I know that my parents are homophobic but I am praying that they don't come into the garden while I am talking to Nini about the mean comments that she got when she posted the picture of her kissing Gina on Twitter.

Thankfully, I don't have practice today because we had lots of practice this week with drills. This gives me more time to work on details for the project and the prom surprise that I am creating for Ricky.

I've been taking some notes on things that he likes and things that he needs in a notebook that I stuffed in my bedroom drawer; and I really hope that it doesn't seem stalkerish. I really care about him and want to give him a great prom before he has to go to Chicago but that means that I need to plan all of this in less than a month.

I need Ashlyn back on my side. I have an idea for the finished project of 'The You Matter Project' but I need help from friends. It's a big project that I can't plan by myself in a month.

I can't do this alone.

I am not the organized one in the family at all.

My mom still does my laundry.

"Hey, I uh I'm here," I hear someone knock on my bedroom door that is half open and see Nini walk in wearing a pink skirt and graphic tee with a Phoebe Bridgers lyric on it.

"Oh hey, sorry that I wasn't down stairs. I've been working on the project in my room and my parents think that I am writing an essay," I half smile at her since I should've been down their to greet her.

"It's okay. Do you want to do the interview and photo shoot in here or somewhere else? This is a big house by the way," I watch Nini look around my room that is pretty big for one person.

"Can we actually go down to the garden? We will have more privacy there and I can get better photos in the sunlight. Oh and you look really nice. You didn't have to dress up for this though. It's just a casual school project. At least that's what I told my parents,"

"Yeah sure. And I kinda dressed up because well I'll tell you later," I watch Nini play with her charm bracelet as I grab my camera that my mom got me because she said that having a hobby looks good on my resume and my laptop.

By the time, I open the door for Nini and lead her down to our backyard/garden I notice her fidgeting with that charm bracelet and her nails again.

I know that this is going to be a serious interview because of what happened with her on social media and her coming out story but I have a feeling that something else is going on too.

After setting, my camera down on a table and watching Nini take a seat in one of the chairs by the flowers and fruits that my mom has planted, I sit down across from her and get my laptop set up.

"Did my mom say anything? Like suspicious or weird to you.," I look over at Nini while I pull up a word doc to take notes on Nini's bullying experience and coming out experience for her post.