33. Nerves

"RUN!"

A cry is heard.

Mark jolts up in shock. He looks around but sees nothing, it's pitch black and completely silent. He feels around the bed. Yuta wasn't there. He was in the desolate room alone. After a few moments, his eyes begin to get used to the darkness and things begin to appear in front of him including his hands.

RUN.

Suddenly, the whole feels as though it's spinning. His whole body ached and felt weak. Mark grips onto the bedsheets, shutting his eyes tightly in the hopes the feeling would end but it didn't. He opens his eyes again, a wave of nausea crashing over him. He wouldn't let that prevent him from leaving. He needed to get out of here. He didn't feel safe anymore. He'd never felt safe but now it was like a screaming air siren rather than a silent blinking light.

"Ugh, why do I feel like shit?" He slurs as he carefully slides off the bed, holding anything he could to make sure he didn't fall and smash his head open. That was the last thing he wanted to happen right now.

Mark manages to get out of the room, shutting his eyes and whining as he looks away from the wavering staircase enticing him to give in and fall but he wouldn't give up that easily.

He sits on the steps, moving down one step at a time before finally reaching the bottom. He hears a chuckle.

"This is so fun~" He recognised that voice. Goddamn it where'd he come from?!  Mark looks around for Yuta but sees no one, he looks up at the top of the stairs but no one was there. There was a light on in the kitchen though, he squints his eyes and peers in, no one was there. "Keep looking Mark, you'll find me eventually" He laughs. "Leave me alone" Mark whines, attempting to overcome the anxiety and the paranoia that Yuta could be anywhere. The fear that Yuta could see him, but he couldn't see Yuta.

"Oh you don't wanna do that~ you might get hurt" He chuckles as Mark reaches for the front door. Mark retracts his hand. What did he mean by this? would he fall? was this all just a horrible dream or was he trying to actually help him? The only other exit was the back door but it would mean going into the kitchen which he was afraid to do. What if he was tricking him and luring him towards danger?

Mark crawls towards the kitchen in the fear that this could be the end. He makes his way into the kitchen and it's empty... or is it? He pulls himself up by the door frame. He states into the kitchen and the light seemed to be on... but also off. It was like it was on in the weird lucid dream he was having but was off in real life. He sighs and moves to the back door, grabbing the handle and pushing it down, to his luck, it was open!

He stumbles out, tripping over the step and falling face-first onto the ground, groaning in pain. Rolling onto his back, he stares up at the sky, it felt like his nausea disappeared but also got worse.

The darkened sky was almost clear, covered by a minimum of clouds but none covered the moon which shone down on Mark. Deja vu, he remembered back in the living room. Was this all worth it? It was like life was on mute. No trees rustling, no wind, not even a scuttle of a bug.

Yuta had ruined his life within a couple of months but Mark still loved him dearly. Mark loved him to the point he loved Yuta more than himself. He'd sacrifice himself for Yuta but then he'd snap back to reality.

Reality felt like fiction. It didn't happen... it can't happen. There's no way he killed all of his friends for a man he loved. But that is the reality. The pill that's hard to swallow. Mark wants to think his friends are still alive, waiting for him to return safely with the one he loves but reality isn't a fairytale, it's cruel, cold, calculating, just like Yuta. You can't always have what you want.