Chapter 35

The pattering of rain and howling of the wind, is what woke up the entire Encanto. As  Pepa Madrigal kept pacing the halls of their home.

Julieta emerged from her humble room, as she tried to calm her anxious sister.

"Hermana, what's the matter? Come here and sit down and talk to me" Julieta said as she worriedly tended to her sister.

"I CAN'T CONTROL IT, I HAD A DREAM A VERY BAD DREAM. AND THEN I CAN'T TURN IT OFF. THE WINDS, THE RAIN!" She cries as she rocked herself back and forth in her chair.

"Santa Maria—it's  alright Pepa, I have bad dreams too, just try to breathe. Inhale, exhale, in–"

"I CAN'T" Pepa screamed as she cried again and thunder clouds started to form.

"Dios mió, what's going on?!" Alma said as she got to where the girls are.

"Pepa, stop this at once! You're going to destroy our home!" She shouted as she shook her daughter's shoulders. Trying to snap her out of her reverie.

"MAMÁ I CAN'T, IT WON'T STOP I FEEL SUFFOCATED!" She cried again.

"Then try harder!" Alma shouted.

"Mamá! She's already trying, let her calm down first" Julieta said as she frantically tries to soother her crying sister.

Suddenly Bruno appeared besides them.
He then started to lift Pepa and carried her, as she unknowingly wrapped her arms around his neck.

"I'll calm her down, just don't shout at her" he calmly said as he went to the back door and went up in the mountain near Casita. Where it is far from the town.

As he reached a certain point, he sat down crossed legged as he cradled his weeping hermana.

"Cry it out Pepita, no one is near anymore" he gently said

And she did, she started to bawl harder and cling tighter.

"I'm scared, Bruno, I'm afraid of the town, afraid for the town" she cried on his shoulder.

" It's totally fine and normal to feel scared Pepa, now can you tell me what is it that scared you?" He said as he rocked her gently as she was tucked in his warm embrace.

"It was you" she said as she tried to bury her face on his shoulder.

"Me?" Bruno asked as he started to feel scared that he scared his hermana.

"It was a dark night and you disappeared, we tried to look for you but you're just gone. We thought you gave yourself up in the river and drifted away—dead" she confessed.

"I can't imagine you gone Bruno, I was so scared that it's true, I wanted to calm down but I can't"

"It was horrific! I  couldn't even help you out!" She cried as they both embraced each other.

"But I'm here– Pepa, listen to me. I will never abandon you, you are a special person to me and I can't imagine leaving you behind just like that" Bruno said as he assured his sister.

Bruno stood and helped Pepa to stand too.

" Now I think I have an idea to calm you down. This place is pretty far and dense. You can let it all out" Bruno said as he smiled at her.

Pepa was nervous but she slowly let loose and the thunder and rain intensified where they're located but it quickly slowed down as she started to have even breath and Calm posture.

" There are you better now?"

" Sì, gracias Bruno I don't know what would've happened to the town if you hadn't brought me here." She said as her drenched hair clung to her.

" You know you should focus on your self from time to time" Bruno said.

They both laughed and enjoyed the drizzle in the air.
But was stopped when they were disrupted by the sound of rustling.

"Pepi! I heard from Julieta what happened are you–" Félix emerged from the thicket of bushes.

"Ohh..." He said as he saw that Bruno and his beloved has calmed down the storm.

"She's fine Félix, but I think she would want to spend this morning with you" Bruno said as he went and patted Félix's shoulder.

Félix thanked him with the nod of his head. And Bruno left the two to talk. As he was walking down the mountain, he was able to see the farthest house from the town. The house that shelters his amor.

And he can't help but smile to himself.

"I can't wait to finish the flowers in my garden–our garden mi amor" he said as he continued back home.

As soon as he arrived, he was received by his mamá.

"Before you scold me mamá, I just did what Pepa needed. And she's calm like you wanted so when she comes back I beg you don't pressure her, she had a rough morning" he said as he continued to the kitchen to see his hermana worried sick by the stove.

And as soon as she saw him he was bombarded by questions.

" Bruno! What happened? "

" Don't worry Julieta, she's calm but I think she would appreciate her favorite tea when she returns. She's with Félix right now. " He said as he sat down on a chair.

Julieta leaned on the table and rubbed her temples.

" Poor Pepa, but how did you managed to calm her down? "

" Listened and let her feel"