Chapter 8

Olivia was still fuming when she arrived at her apartment after her dinner with Rafael. "What's wrong, Liv?" Lucy had asked.

"Nothing." Olivia answered, "I just missed my boy. You're welcome to stay, Lucy."

Lucy left 15 minutes later, a worried look on her face. Olivia was now alone,except for her sleeping son. It was too quiet. She took out her cell phone, sat down on the couch, and dialed. Rafael picked up on the first ring. "Olivia?""I got home safe. "Olivia answered softly."Good, can we talk about this?"

"No", she replied instantly. "I can't talk to you right now. I just needed you to know I got home safe. Te amo.""Te amo siempre, Olivia." Rafael answered, before Olivia hung up. His words echoed in her head. "If you thought Noah was in danger you would do the same thing!"Tears stung her brown eyes, and threatened to fall. "Damn you,Larry Holland!" Olivia whispered to herself. She had to get her mind off of this situation now, before it could destroy a night's rest. She dialed. her phone again, and after a few seconds a voice said. "Hello?"Carmen, it's Olivia Benson.""Olivia!" Carmen answered excitedly. "What's up?""Mr Barba said you have been out. Is everything OK?""That's formal. You can tell your soulmate, Rafael, I'll be in the office at my desk no later than Monday at 10AM. I've been a little sick, nothing to worry about.""Are you sure, Carmen?""I'm sure.""OK, well let me know if you need anything, Carmen. Have a good weekend.""Olivia?""Yes." Olivia answered quickly."If you're not with my boss, romantically, you should be. He adores you. I see the way he looks at you. Being near you makes him happy. you make him happy."
"Good night, Carmen.""Good night, Olivia." The young woman said, cheerfully.Olivia hung up, put her phone on the charger, and very quietly got ready for bed. As she climbed into the bed a wave of deep loneliness hit her, and stayed with her. The bed was freezing. She almost prayed for sleep that never came.
BBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBIt was 12:30 PM on Monday, and Rafael was standing in front of Olivia's office door. His heart sank when he realized it was locked. "Barba! You look like you just lost your best friend." Amanda Rollins said, walking to him. "Liv 's not here.""Thank-you, Rollins. I didn't see that." He replied, sarcastically
"She went to your office. She said she had a meeting with you.She left 15 minutes ago."
At those words, Rafael was on the move. "Thanks, Rollins." 15 minutes later he saw Olivia by Carmen's desk, talking, and showing off photos of Noah. Carmen laughed loudly. He is too cute." Carmen said.Rafael was suddenly standing behind Olivia. "Hello, '' he said, interrupting the conversation.
Olivia spun around to face him. "We need to speak." She said, immediately. Rafael silently nodded in agreement, and led her to his personal office. He closed the door when they were both inside. "I'm sorry." Olivia said the second the door was closed.He turned to face her. "You didn't talk to me all weekend." He said softly."I know. I'm sorry. I'm so sorry." Rafael heard the agony in her voice, and it broke his heart. "You know I went to see you, you weren't there, because you're here. I'm sorry I didn't come to you before I went to Munch, but I won't apologize for going to him, and I won't apologize for my intentions.""I don't expect you to, Rafa." She said, softly. He stepped closer to her, relieved, and happy to hear her nickname for him. Gently, he cupped her face in his hands. "I've been miserable without you.""Me too." She whispered. "I'm sorry I stormed off without letting you talk.""I tell you everything, Olivia, I couldn't hide my meeting with Munch from you. I went to Munch. not some stranger. I know you trust him." Olivia nodded slowly in agreement. "I know you're upset with me for looking into this Larry Holland.""I was." Olivia softly corrected."You were," he replied, relieved. "But you never told me he wasn't a threat.""I don't want to talk about him, please. Can't you see that?""Yes." Just please answer the following questions." He replied, softly.OK. Olivia agreed. "Ask.""Did you call Munch off?""No,""Why?""Because you could be right, Rafael. He is a possible threat." She said, in Lieutenant mode. "You're also right that if... if someone was a threat to Noah I would do the same thing you did." She said softly. "I can investigate with Munch. You don't have to be involved in this, Rafa. I'm a mess. and I upset you." She said, her voice cracking."No, you're not doing that. You're not pushing me away because you're scared. I'm not going anywhere, Olivia. Do you hear me?" He spoke in a courtroom voice.
"You're upset with me. I... I walked away. I always do that." She replied, angry at herself."And I left the courthouse today, and went to find you, to fix this. I found you here, Olivia, looking for me. We always find our way back to each other. We are in this and everything else together. I'm not leaving you. Got it?""Squabbling with you at 85." Olivia whispered, tears in her eyes..Rafael gave her a half smile "Yes." He answered, taking his hands off her face. She hated the loss of contact. "Come with me." He whispered, taking her by the hand, and leading her to his leather couch. When they sat down he wrapped his arms around her, and she gently laid on him."Carmen will find us?" Olivia whispered, holding on to him."No, she won't." He whispered back, kissing her hair.