Chapter 12

Olivia stepped into Arabica's, and immediately spotted Katelyn.The woman was fidgeting next to a brown booth, She looked like she was about to cry. Olivia rushed to her. "Katelyn, let's sit down." Olivia said, guided her into the booth. Olivia sat across from her. Katelyn slowly began to bite her nails. She was dressed in a white sweatsuit. Most of her blond hair was piled on top of her head in a sloppy bun, held together with a brown hair clip.Olivia noticed bags under her eyes,

"How are you doing?" Olivia asked, in the voice she used for newly traumatized victims. "You look like you've lost a lot of weight . When was the last time you ate?""It's been awhile. Maybe 2 days ago? Breakfast?" Katelyn.answered, breaking her long silence after 2 minutes. Olivia thought of Rafael. If she didn't eat in 2 days, he would be beside himself with worry.
"You need to eat Katelyn." Olivia said.
"Hi, my name is Amy. I'm your waitress. What can I get you?" Amy asked, standing by the table, and taking her pen out of the pocket in her apron."Coffee for me." Katelyn said. "Katelyn, you need to eat." Olivia said, giving her an encouraging smile. Katelyn looked Amy straight in the eye, and ordered again. "I'll have 3 scrambled eggs, sausage, and a coffee with milk."
Amy jotted down the information, and turned to Olivia. She smiled, and Olivia ordered. "Just black coffee for me." Amy once again, jotted the order down. She smiled, and walked away."I have to eat, but you don't?" Katelyn asked softly."I'm going to eat later. Katelyn have you called the counselor?""No, what;s the point, Olivia?" It won't change what I went through, or what these women went through, or what you went through. Katelyn almost whispered."It will help you deal with things.""How Olivia?" Katelyn.asked, her voice cracking. "How can I deal with this?""The counselor will help you find techniques that work for you.""No technique will help me with this. I never should have married him,Olivia!" All I ever really wanted was a good marriage, a family. I have since learned that marriage is nothing but a legalized prison!" Katelyn banged her arm into the table."With enough counseling, you may not feel that way." Olivia said, calmly."I want to feel this way, I now have the truth, and the truth will keep me from being victimized. I don't want a counselor to change my mind.""If you don't want the counselor to change your mind, she won't, Katelyn.""I was in love with him! How could I have fallen in love with an evil monster!" What does that say about me? Katelyn.sobbed."Here's your food, honey." Amy said, placing a plate, and cup in front of Katelyn."Thank-you so much. "Olivia said, as Amy placed her coffee in front of her."No problem." Amy replied, smiling at Olivia, and then running away."People are afraid of me!:" Katelyn exclaimed., as she stabbed a piece of egg with her fork. She put the egg in her mouth, chewed, and looked at Olivia intently."That's not true Katelyn, but it;s easy to see you're upset." Olivia replied."They pity me. The only time I leave the house is to come here, and to see you at the DA.'s office."
"Katelyn, you're not the first to fall for a bad person. The counselor will make it easier for you to leave the house.""I spend most of my time in the shower. I'm a mess Olivia. Help me. My husband wasn't even attracted to me.""Rape is not about attraction, it;s about power.""Well, he was attracted to the women he raped, Olivia. He thought you were a knockout, and you are, but he had no right to attack you.""You're right, Katelyn, he had no right to try and rape me. He had no right to rape you or any other person, and testifying against him will help you. You also need to go to counseling. If you don't like Dr. Hillmen, I'll give you the name of someone else."Katelyn was silent for a long time. She finished her breakfast, and Olivia finished her black coffee. " Katelyn broke the silence. "How do you deal with people like me all day, Olivia?""Knowing that I can help survivors heal by putting the monsters who hurt them in jail is very gratifying.""What happens when you can't get the bad guy?""That's tough. but most of the time I do." Olivia said softly.
"Are you married?""No.""Smart woman. How could you be married seeing what you see, everyday, every night. I... I have nightmares whenever I sleep. I see him beating me, raping other women, women he was attracted to. I wake up screaming, and for a moment, I can swear he's there with me.""Counseling can help with the nightmares.""You think Counseling can help with anything."
"I do, that wasn't always the case. I hated the idea of it. I know it helps me with my nightmares, it helps me understand them, and deal with them. Katelyn, you refused to go to a hotel or an apartment, months ago. Are you still in that house?""Where everything happened to me, yes. In my nightmares, he laughs at me. He rapes me over, and over, until he finds someone elese to do it to, and I know he can use his knifes or his gun at any time." Katelyn.said like a robot. "I'm sorry he hurt you, Olivia"

"What he did to others, including me is not on you, Katelyn, I really think you should move out of that house. Do you have anybody you can stay with?""No, my husband was the only person I had.""I'll make some calls." Olivia said."Thank-you." Katelyn whispered.
"You're welcome. Olivia replied. ""I have an appointment. I'll be in touch." Olivia said.
"Can I get you anything else?" Amy asked, walking up to the table."Nothing for me. Olivia said. "Just give me the check, please." Olivia requested. Amy smiled, and walked away.

"Can you take me home,Olivia." Katelyn asked, softly.
"Sure." Olivia answered, just as Amy dropped the check on the table. Olivia scanned it with her eyes, and paid. She stood up, and Katelyn followed."You should watch out for that DA., "I see the way he looks at you. Be careful. " Katelyn said. Olivia put her poker face on, and stayed silent.BBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBB
At 3PM, Olivia walked into Rafael's apartment with Noah by her side.
"I love your apartment, Uncle Rafa!" Noah exclaimed. "Can mommy and I stay here with you?""Yes, Noah, anytime you want" He glanced at Olivia, and he knew that she needed him, now. "Noah, go watch TV for a little bit. I'll be with you soon, I need to talk to your mami."
"OK. Make her smile. She's sad." Noah said. I know, Rafael thought. Noah ran to the TV."Are you OK? How did your meeting with Katelyn go?" Rafael asked. Olivia stepped closer to him.
"Hold me." She answered, leaning into him .Rafael wrapped her in his embrace, and held her, there was no need to talk right now,