Chapter 9

Author's note This chapter is rated M to be safe, due to discussions of abuse and rape.

"You sure she's coming?" Barba asked, taking a sip of the coffee, his girlfriend bought him from their favorite coffee shop. It was another Thursday. He, and Olivia were waiting for Katelyn Quinn. They had been waiting for an hour."Yes, I called her last night, and this morning. She was definitely coming." Olivia replied. She took out her cell phone, and called Katelyn, there was no answer. Right away, she dialed another number."What's up Liv?" Fin answered after 2 rings.
"Barba and I have been waiting for Katelyn for the last hour. Give her a call, and if she doesn't answer, do a well-fair check.""You got it." Fin answered."Thanks Fin." Olivia answered, she hung up the phone. She moved slowly to her boyfriend's desk, and sat down. "We just have to wait." She said, looking at him.
"Do you know how sexy you look behind my desk?""Don't torture me, Barba. Not here.""Sweet torture, not real torture." He said walking toward her. He leaned over his desk, and looked at her. His green eyes bore into her soul. She broke eye contact, and spun around in his office chair. "Whose torturing who now?""You started this, Barba. Don't look at me like that.""Like what, like you're, the most gorgeous woman in any Universe?" Olivia spun the office chair. She was now facing him again."Yes", she answered, letting out a soft self conscious laugh."You are," Olivia." He said quickly. "You have no idea how much I want to kiss you.but I know you would never kiss me here." He said, his voice dropping."No?" Olivia, questioned, raising an eyebrow "What makes you say that, Barba?"
"You're afraid someone would see.""Carmen could walk in at any time.""Carmen's not even here. She called in sick again today.""Normally she could walk in at any time.""I don't care." He answered, softly.
Olivia slowly rose from Rafael's chair, and when he backed away from his desk, she stepped out from behind it. She walked toward him, and gently put her hands on his shoulders. "Do you want me to kiss you now, Barba?""I'm patiently waiting for you, Olivia. I want to know you're ready, and you want to."Olivia gently squeezed his shoulders. "Rafa, I'm not ashamed of us." She said, adamantly." I love you, I've never said that to anyone in a relationship.""I love you.Olivia." He whispered, like it was a prayer, He leaned closer to her, and joined his forehead with hers, "We need to disclose." At those words Olivia slipped out of his arms, turned away from him, and mumbled something. "What? He asked." She spoke again, this time in a whisper. "What?" He asked, again, moving to her, and trying to achieve eye contact again.
"I don't want you to go to Brooklyn! She exclaimed. "I don't want us to be separated, I like knowing you're on my side.""Hey, hey, hey", he said to get her attention. He stepped in front of her. "Look at me." She lifted her chin, and met his green eyes. "I'm not leaving you. If I have to work in Brooklyn, so be it!""No!: Olivia replied. despair in her voice. "No." She repeated, softly, almost brokenly."Working in Brooklyn is not the same as leaving you." I'm not going anywhere in life without you, Olivia, and I'm always on your side. Olivia was about to say something to him when there was a knock on the office door. Barba answered it., and returned to his desk. Olivia quickly called Finn to call off the welfare check."Hello", said the meek voice of Katelyn Quinn. "I'm sorry, I'm so late." She said, stepping into the office very slowly.
"That's OK. Katelyn,have a seat." Olivia instructed, gesturing to an empty chair. Katelyn sat down next to Olivia. "How have you been doing?" Olivia asked in professional mode."I'm fine, I guess. Olivia, I'm so sorry that my husband attacked you." Katelyn said."It isn't your fault. Katelyn. You're not responsible for him." Olivia said, softly."I feel like it is my fault!""It's normal to feel that way, that's why you need counseling." Olivia replied.
"If he was in jail for domestic violence, he never would have attacked you!!" Katelyn screamed."Tell us what he did to you." Barba said, in full prosecutor mode."Start from the very beginning."Katelyn nodded, and spoke. "I had just broken up with a boyfriend, because he wouldn't commit. I hadn't left the house in a month.""A whole month?" Barba questioned."Well,"Katelyn said, "except to go to work, and maybe some food shopping. I broke up with him on a Saturday night, and stayed in bed until Thursday . I finally got out of bed to go to work, I didn't want to lose my job, I couldn't. When I got to work, my friend Tally said she was going bowling. She begged me to come along. I did, and that's where I met Craig. He was charming, and so easy to talk to, that night he invited me out to dinner. After that we were inseparable. He wanted to commit and so did I. We married a year and a half later. We had a wonderful wedding, and a fantastic honeymoon. A week after our honeymoon. I made roast chicken for dinner. He said it was dry. That night when I got into bed, I thought he was going to kiss me, but he slapped me. After that, he hit me everyday, for small reasons, and then no reasons. It made him feel better, and relieved his stress. He was back to his normal, loving, charming self right after beating me. I loved him, and then he raped me." Katelyn spoke like a robot."When did he rape you?" Barba asked."2 months after he started beating me. I wanted to leave Mr. Barba, but I was afraid of him and his weapons.""What weapons?" Barba asked."Knives, he has knives. A lot of knives, steak knives, pocket knives, knives he talked about, but I haven't seen.""How many knives do you think he has?""I have no clue. He doesn't have them anymore.""What do you mean? Did he have one when he attacked Lieutenant Benson?" Barba asked, he felt physically sick, but managed not to show it.
"Yes, A week before that ,he started giving them as gifts to friends.""How do you know that?" Barba asked."Some of his favorites were missing. His friends told me they had them.""We need the names of the people he gave them to. " Olivia said, keeping her voice soft.Ian, and Mike Wick. They're brothers." Katelyn said. quickly.
"Did he ever use the knives on you?" Barba questioned."No." Katelyn answered, right away. She sighed,loudly, then she spoke. "It didn't take me long to realize that he was raping others. I'm blonde and he loves brunettes. He would rant about it sometimes. We didn't have sex before the wedding, I thought he was being a gentlemen. I didn't know he was so sick." Katelyn cried. She covered her face with her hands.
It took everything in Barba not to go to his next question, but he managed to wait until Katelyn composed herself with Olivia's help. "When did you realize he was raping other women?" He asked, making a conscious effort to control his voice. It worked, he sounded calm. He was seething.
"Deep down, I knew for a long time. He stopped raping me. I thought he must be doing it to someone else, but honestly I didn't want to know. I saw news reports. months ago He sounded like the man the police were looking for. The night before he attacked Olivia, he beat me.""And you were with him for 5 years?"Olivia questioned."No, no. Olivia, 7. I was with him for 7 years. He raped me for 5 of them. I need to go, I need to get out of here. I need to go. I need to get out of here. "Olivia got up from her chair." I'll walk you out, Katelyn. We can finish this another time. " Olivia said, helping Katelyn out of her seat."I need to get out of here." Katelyn repeated."I know," Olivia said, walking Katelyn to the door. "You're on your way home. it's OK." Olivia put her hand on the doorknob, and waited a second before opening it, and gilding Katelyn out After 2 minutes of waiting, Barba felt his head starting to slowly pound. He grabbed a Tylenol out of his desk, and waited nervously for Olivia to return.