Chapter 13

Rafael hugged Olivia for 10 minutes before he moved to look at her. "How did your meeting with Katelyn go?" He asked again."Good,considering." Olivia answered, looking into his green eyes, the eyes that always grounded her by reminding her of the good in the world. Everything about him made her feel truly safe. "She had so much to deal with, Rafa, and she's still living in the house where it all happened. She needs to get out of there,I'm going to make a call for her."Rafael was happy that Noah was in the other room, watching loud cartoons."How are you,Liv?" He asked, softly."I'm OK." She answered, just as softly. Rafael raised an eyebrow, and his green eyes told her he wasn't buying it. "I'm OK,Rafa. We can't talk about it now." She continued a second later."Katelyn's husband attacked you." He whispered."I'm a cop. Katelyn 's husband was a suspect. I went undercover. I assumed the risk." Olivia answered. Rafael was a lawyer, and as such he understood the meaning of assumption of risk. In any situation involving the love of his life, he didn't like it, he hated it. "I assume risks everyday.""That doesn't mean it doesn't affect you.""I know." She said, suddenly burying her face in his chest Rafael placed a series of small kisses on the top of her head, until she spoke again. "Let's go watch TV with Noah." She suggested lifting her head."Good idea." Rafael replied, giving her a half smile. He felt a loss when she moved away. He felt better when she took his hand, and walked them into the room where Noah was watching TV. They sat down with Noah, and didn't say a word. Occasionally, they heard Noah's joyful giggling when something particularly silly came up on the TV. screen. Rafael didn't have a clue what T.V, shows they were watching, but he was grateful to spend time with both Olivia, and Noah. They sat there for hours together. During that time, Rafael often gently squeezed Olivia's hand. She had a faraway look in her eyes, but she squeezed his hand back every time.At 6PM, Rafael let go of Olivia's hand, and stood up. He looked back at her, there was a sadness in her eyes that asked Where are you going? "I have to start dinner." He said. He left the room, and moved to the kitchen. At 7 O'clock he heard Olivia's cell phone ring. She let the call go to voicemail. By 7:45, Rafael had dinner on the table, and they were all eating.'I love this chicken, uncle Rafa!" Noah said excitedly as he picked up a piece of chicken with his fork. It's not like the chicken you usually make.""I wanted to try making something different." Rafael replied, "I'm glad you like it. I'll make you Mojo chicken next Saturday." Tonight, Rafael decided to make fried chicken cutlet, spaghetti, and an assortment of colorful vegetables."It's delicious, Rafa, better than any restaurant " Olivia said, before he had a chance to ask her. Rafael smiled, and looked from Olivia's beautiful face to her full plate. She took 4 small bites of the meal as he watched, and placed her fork down.
"Uncle Rafa, we finished a book last week. Can we start a new book tonight?""We are." Rafael answered, the boy."You picked 1. What is it?" Noah asked."It's a surprise."Noah smiled. "Uncle Rafa, can mommy, and I stay with you tonight? ""Yes you can." Rafael answered with a genuine smile. Noah smiled back. He looked down at his plate, and began eating again, he ate until his plate was clean."Mommy can I watch more TV?""OK. Olivia said. "Just until Rafa and I finish the dishes." Olivia said."Thank-you!" Noah said as he left the table.When Rafael heard the TV. He began talking. "Olivia, you're not that hungry?" He asked, concerned."I love the food, I just have a lot on my mind.""You're thinking about Katelyn." Rafael said. "What happened today?""When I got to the coffee shop, Katelyn was a mess. She was fidgeting, her hair was wet. My instincts tell me she takes a shower every hour. I bought her breakfast, she hadn't eaten in days."When I think of Katelyn, I'm angry. I know I shouldn't be, but I am. I know she's a victim, I fight for victims everyday." As Rafael spoke. Olivia rose from her chair, and walked to his chair. "I'm a sex crimes ADA, I have empathy for them, even when it doesn't show." Rafael stood up, and looked into Olivia's eyes. She took his hand. "I have never been angry with a victim before, but I'm angry at her. I feel angry at her, because her husband hurt you." He said softly.
"In your mind. you hold Katelyn responsible for what happened to me. You feel like she let him abuse her, and if she stopped him from hurting her, I wouldn't t have been hurt.""Yes, and I worry about you around her. you don't know if she's dangerous." Rafael admitted."You're a wonderful man. Rafa. It;s just a feeling. Sometimes in my mind, I blame myself for being attacked, logically I know the attacks I endured were not my fault, but I still have the feeling.""You amaze me, Olivia, I love you." Rafael said, getting up from his chair, and clearing the dinner table. He put the leftovers in the fridge, making a mental note that they were for Liv and Noah.Both Rafael and Olivia did the dishes in a comfortable silence, when they were done Olivia broke the silence."You don't have to have us here for the night, Rafa.""I want to Liv, I want you and Noah to be comfortable at my place. I just don't know how long my place will be this apartment.""You're moving?" Olivia asked, feeling a sense of dread."I'm not moving away." He said, quickly. In the next building over, there's a 2 bedroom. Until then wait here with Noah. I have an idea. He gently pulled Olivia into a hug, and kissed her hair. He pulled away after a few moments, and walked out of the room.He returned an hour later with a brand new pair of boy's pajamas in Noah's size from the store around the corner. He left his apartment again 15 minutes later. He returned with a box, in the box, there was a tent that he set up with Noah. When Noah was ready for bed, he sat quietly beside Rafael and listened to the man start the new book. The Lion, The witch, And The Wardrobe. Rafael said it was written by C.S, Lewis.BBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBB
When Rafael entered his bedroom, Olivia was already in bed. "I'm tired." She said when his green concerned eyes met her brown ones. He got into bed beside her."Sleep, Mi Amor." He answered, softly.Kiss me, please." Olivia requested softly. Rafael happily fulfilled her request. He kissed her both gently, and passionately. When a moan escaped her lips, he stopped. "Are you OK?""More than OK, Rafa. Nobody kisses the way you do." Olivia said, kissing him back. Without breaking the kiss, he scooted closer to her. After a while he moved his lips to her neck, they kissed until Olivia's eyes closed."Sleep Mi Amor." He whispered."I don't want to. I want to keep kissing you." She whispered back. Rafael smiled at her words. Within a minute Olivia was asleep beside him.3 hours later, Rafael was awoken by Olivia's terrified screams. Her body was drenched in sweat. "Olivia, wake up. It's OK. Nobody can hurt you, I'm here.""Rafa?" She said, horsey, when she finally registered that he was beside her."Yeah, hey, I'm here, Liv.""I'm sorry Rafa.""Hey, you have nothing to be sorry for." He answered. 20 minutes later she was asleep, wrapped in his protective arms.