Chapter 17

After Lucia and Munch left the Benson apartment together, Rafael and Olivia washed the dinner dishes in a comfortable silence, periodically smiling at each other. When the dishes were done, Olivia's cell phone rang. She answered it in front of him. Rafael could tell that the person on the other end of the phone was Katelyn. When the call ended she checked on Noah. Her phone rang again, it was Katelyn again. Olivia looked distressed, but spoke words of comfort to the women on the phone. When she hung up with Katelyn again, she ran to Noah's room again,Now, it was midnight, and Rafael was waiting for Olivia in bed. "Liv." He called."OK, I'm all yours." Olivia said, walking into her bedroom where Rafael, the love of her life was. "I was just checking on Noah. He's sleeping.""He's been sleeping for hours." Rafael replied. "Liv, I can leave the room while you get changed." She was still wearing the black maxi dress."No, stay there, I'll go into the bathroom, she walked to a chest of draws, took out some clothes, and ran out of the room
20 minutes later, she returned to the bedroom, looking nervous. "Are you OK? Rafael asked, softly as she climbed into bed. She wore black yoga pants, and a white cotton turtleneck. Rafael was worried. "How do you feel about your mother, and Munch leaving together?"
"I'm so glad you brought it up, I have been wanting to talk about it since they left.""Rafa, you don't have to wait for me to talk about something, you can bring anything up." She said, reassuringly.
Rafael turned his head to look at her. "I know, '' he said smiling, genuinely. "But you brought it up at the perfect time. I needed to think about it for a while.""Now that you have, what are you thinking?""It's too early to have an opinion.""But you have one. What is it?""My mother hasn't been with anyone since my father, at least that I know of." His next words were softer. "My father was not a nice man,Liv. He was very cruel. He was cruel to her.""And to you?" Olivia asked, very softly. Rafael nodded his head slowly. up and down in a yes motion. Olivia instantly grabbed hold of his hand, "Rafa, I am so sorry, whenever you want to talk about it, I'm here." Rafael squeezed her hand, it grounded him, it was a lifeline, she was his lifeline "I never thought anyone could understand me on the level that you do, and I want you to know that I understand you, and I understand your pain. I adore you, and I would never want you to experience that pain.""It makes you feel less alone?" There was a question in his voice, but he already knew the answer."Yes, but I wish that you never went through it, I would never want you to go through that pain. I wish I could take it away. If you had never gone through it, if I could take it away, I would still love you. I don;t want you to understand me on that level, on the abused kid level. You are nothing like your father.""It made me stronger, Liv, and I'm happy about that. My mother took the worst of it, and I'm sorry for that. As for you, I love you more than you will ever comprehend, I understand you,Olivia, and I want to understand you on every level.and I will work everyday for that. Te amo, siempre."
"Te amo, siempre." She echoed, squeezing his hand again, he squeezed hers back.""We're so much alike.""We are." Rafael agreed, softly, his free hand reached up, and in seconds he was caressing her cheek. She leaned into his touch.
"What do you think about Munch and your mom?" Olivia asked, making sure Rafael couldn't avoid the subject. He removed his hand from her face, and Olivia felt the loss, but he still held her hand."I'm happy someone piqued her interest. Munch is a good man. You trust him, I trust him. Does it bother you?""Munch is a very soulful man, he could never hurt someone intentionally. I'm just very protective of your mom.""And Munch has had a lot of marriages." Rafael finished her thought for her. "I love how close you and my mother have become, I love how protective you are. They'll be OK." Rafael said, Olivia gave him a weak smile. After a moment he changed the subject, his voice was gentle. "Now, tell me why you wore that dress tonight." He felt Olivia stiffen."You didn't like it?" She asked.Liv, you could wear ashes, and I would like it, you can wear anything or nothing at all, and you'd still be gorgeous. It's just... ""Just what?"It's just that... you wore that dress a lot after Lewis, and you seemed a little jumpy at certain times tonight.""You noticed that I wore it after Lewis?" She asked, he noticed the shock in her voice, the truth was, he noticed everything about her. This moment was not the time to tell her that."I checked on Noah a lot." Olivia whispered more to herself than to him. Her next words were all for him. "Rafael Barba, I love what we have, I love how honest we are with each other, I've never had that with anyone else, and, one day, we're going to be together, and... you... will see... all of my scars.""Olivia you are so beautiful, there are no adequate words to describe it. Just looking at you for a split second makes me weak in the knees, takes my breath away, knocks me out, and burns my retinas." Olivia let out a tiny giggle, tears glistened in her eyes. "I will help you everyday, in any way that I can, to cherish every one of your battle scars. You never have to hide from me. He reached up with his free hand, and wiped away a stray tear. Olivia laid down, still holding his hand."May I hold you?" He asked gently.Olivia nodded in the affirmative, and Rafael laid down, and pulled her gently to him. Her head rested contently on his chest, Rafael smiled, overjoyed to be with the women he loved, and adored. One day he would prove to her that he was here to stay.