☆Just like you☆

April POV

From a young age, I've always admired my sister.

16 years ago (Age: 6)

I watch from afar as I see her easily get along with the other kids. 

I wish I could be as sociable as her...

She cares about everyone...

Makes time for others...

Approachable...

I'm gonna be just like you

(Age: 16)

I was giving her an icepack after our 'mom' hit her again.

Ever since dad past away, the abuse started getting worse. 

She always took the blame for me... she took the hits for me...

So why...

"Why are you acting like everything is okay?!" I suddenly yelled. I covered my mouth, not meaning for it to come out.

She just looked at me with the same calm expression she had earlier and spoke.

"Because I know things will get better... I talk like nothing's wrong, act like it's all a dream, and pretend it doesn't hurt. Is this stupid? Yeah. Do I care? Not really."

No matter what you say I can do...

"April... please don't find anyone who treats you the way mom treats us."

I'll follow you until the day I can smile at you and say 'I'm just like you!'

Present Day

"April, I'm home!" Y/N yelled.

"You don't need to shout, Y/N..." she only gave a tired smile before going to the kitchen.

"Y/N, what are you doing?" I asked.

"I'm making food for you of course!" 

"Y-You don't need to. You had a long day of work, you need to rest!"

"April, ever since I got the night shift you haven't been eating properly.", this made my eyes widen and she noticed, "Yeah, I saw all those empty cup noodles in the trash!"

"Y/N please... you do so much for me already. Even when mom kicked us out, you had to get a part-time job!" she ignored me and started cooking. 

I sighed, knowing that once she started cooking, there was no stopping her.

When she finished, she handed me a bowl of Arroz Caldo. 

"You remembered..." 

"Huh? Of course, I remember your favorite food. I may have a lot of air in my nogging but I should at least know what the people I care about enjoy."

I smiled and took a bite of the dish. 

I teared up a bit since for one, I forgot how hot it was...
and because it had been so long since I've had this. It really takes me back.

I looked up from my bowl to see her cutting the stem from a bouquet of flowers and putting it in one of the vases we never used.

I was about to ask where she got them but she immediately plopped down face first on the couch and she was out like a light.

She always worked hard in whatever she did, and she still does.

I got up from my seat to grab a blanket and draped it over her body.

"...I can never be like you, Y/N."

"I wish I could be the sister you deserve."

A/N: Updated April 3, 2022
So... may or may not have unpublished an extra scene (I didn't like it)

 may or may not have unpublished an extra scene (I didn't like it)