the letters

CONTENT WARNING: MENTION OF DEATH, MURDER AND SUICIDE. (Please skip if these bother you)

Cagney and Spector find themselves in a speakeasy. Cagney walks over to the bar with Spector following behind. Cagney looks at the bartender and hands him something. In turn the bartender hands him a file. As Cagney flips through it, analyzing every bit, something catches his eye. A damaged diary. But not dates on the pages. It was letters to someone.

First letter:

Dear (the name was scratched out),

I'm sorry about today! I made a big mess! I should've stayed and helped you clean up. I know you didn't want me to but it was my fault.

I know what you're going to say "I'm just a boy carrying boxes. If they spill then it's my fault."

But I was the one who bumped into the shelf. Don't worry! I'll find a way to make it up to you.

From your new friend!

Second letter:

Dear (ink smeared name),

I know boss got into you about the whole mess. I explained everything. He decided not to fire you. Apparently it's hard to find kind people these days. Speaking of which, stay away from that group of girls that keep talking to you at lunch. They make up bad rumors about people. They've gotten people fired before. I'm supposed they're still working here.

From someone looking out for you.

Third letter:

Dear best friend,

I saw what they did. Are you ok? I'm gonna start making a second lunch in case they throw yours away again. I'm gonna make pasta for tomorrow. I hope you enjoy it. I owe you one for the shelf incident.

From a friendly cook!

Fourth letter:

Dear (something scratched out ending in -ing),

They're gone. Apparently they died last night in different ways. One was fell off a cliff, one hung herself, and one was betrayed. Everyone got really sad. Are you doing ok?

From your pal.

Fifth letter:

Dear detective,

You figured it out. Why did you do that? Things could've been nice and peaceful but no. That's fine... It's fine. I just... Have to...

(The paper is ripped)

Sixth letter:

There's no point in formality anymore. I'm just gonna say it. I'm selfish. I'm greedy. Something isn't ok. And because of that... I know what's going to happen. Please... I'm begging you... Stay away... Run.. please just run far far away... Live a happy life. Please don't let me catch you. I don't want to hurt you. I care about you. I really truly do. But I have to... I...

I'm sorry for everything. Please forgive me. I'm sorry. I'm a terrible terrible person. We should've never met. I'm sorry for how things are. And I'm sorry that I can't fix it. For both of our sakes, stay away.

Forgive me.

Seventh letter:

Greetings!

I know it's a bit painful bit things are better this way. You may not be able to see anymore but that's ok! You don't need sight. You'll just run away and expose me. We can't allow that

RIGHT?!

Cagney feels something on his coat. It's Spector who had been reading along. He looks shaky and pale. Cagney opens his mouth to ask what's wrong but Spector's voice reaches him before he can.

"Let me see those" spec grabs them

He points to the one about the lunches. [Third letter] "today's meal: angel noodles with tomato and meat sauce seasoned with Basil. Side dish is cheesy garlic bread. Though the noodles were still a tad hard I enjoyed it. Don't be afraid to let the noodles cook." He looks at the fourth letter "reports say that three women, who were under the influence died in various ways. However that was a lie wasn't it? You pushed one from a cliff, hung another and stabbed the third in cold blood after some of the employees went out for drinks. " He sorts the letters out.

Cagney gives a concerned look at spector. "Hey buddy... Uh...how do you know all of this? You ok?...spec?"

However the ghost doesn't respond. He pulls something from his pocket. It's the final letter.

Eighth letter:

Hey pal! Some of the guys and I were gonna go to the casino across the tracks. After we're all drunk we though we'd see how far we'd go on the tracks before we got lost. You should join us! Another thing... I know there that creepy girl that keeps sending you shit. There's something I need to tell you in person about her. I'm scared she's gonna take this letter away. So tell me when you get it.

See you there,

Dan.

Spector looked at the letters and noticed something. The last letter was in the same handwriting as the rest. He looked at a timeline before him.

"So... That's what happened..." He said his voice not knowing what expression to display.

Cagney looked at him. "Wait did this..." He reread every letter and understood the timeline. Someone fell into that girl's trap. And that someone is probably dead. "...spec...  Their victim was..."

Spec gets up from his seat. "I'm... I gotta go home. Sorry cags. This is just... Too much"

Cagney would usually offer to take him home but he knew it was bad idea.for now he was reviewing the case. Whoever that woman was, he had to do something about her.