doubts

Spec's pov:

I awake on top of cagney. He's holding me rather tightly. It's really hard to get out and if I phase through him there's a chance I'll possess him again. Thus, the ghost boi is stuck.

I can't free my hands. One is on his chest and basically pinned there. The other is stuck underneath him. I try to wiggle a bit to see if I can slip through. This wakes cagney.

"Good morning sunshine" he smiles.

He notices the problem. He moves so I can get free. He looks away embarrassed.

"Sorry about that..." He says "you alright?"

I nod. "So how'd you sleep?"

He smiles "best sleep I've had"

I laugh "bullshit babe, you're laying flat on a hard floor. Even I know that's not good for your back"

He turns red. "B...b-babe?..."

I get worried til I look into his expression. He's trying to process it but he's happy. He looks like he's about to explode from happiness but is trying to calm himself and defuse the bomb.

He looks up with a smile, his face red. "So I'm " babe" now? Are you using pet names for me now?"

I shy up. I mean I usually call him "cags" does he really like pet names that much?

"Well... Uh... That's..." I stammer

He crawls towards me "if you wanna use pet names then, maybe I'll be your-"

I cut him off "so you like being called pet names?"

He nods. He's practically on top of me.

I know what we both want. I lighty push his chest indicating him to get off. He gets the hint and gets off.

"Spec? What's wrong? Are you ok?" His look of lust from earlier is replaced by pure concern.

"You're still hurt. I don't want to make it worse. Let's wait until you heal" I explain

He smiles "oh! That's understandable!"

Despite his expression, I think I disappointed him. He gets up and hands me my work clothes.

I throw my uniform on as he looks away. There's a feeling within me. It's... It's like... Well... What is it?

Nervousness?

Fear?

Anxiety?

Despair?

Something isn't right.... But there's one thing I do know, something is off with cagney. There's something I'm not understanding. I want to figure it out.

I let cagney know it's ok to look. He does so and goes for a hug. I keep him an arm's length away.

"You're gonna wrinkle my shirt" I explain

He backs up. "Oh my bad"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The train is under maintenance but I still have to unload and reload the train. The twins are sweet talking the merchants who trade with us. As annoying as they are, they have a valuable ability to perfectly fit everyone.

Angry customer? Act like their servant. Nervous guest? Reassure them. Upset kid? Cheer them up. It's so simple to them.

The conductor takes care of the train with so much care and skill. Kinda like how I bandaged Cagney. I've heard the twins talking about how there's the soul of one of his buddies in the train. I wouldn't be suprised.

Everyone here may not be at their peak, but we're all happy and smiling. The sky is bright blue, the sun light is a bit too bright.

The twins stop talking. Their eyes are fixated on something. I notice who it is, king dice.

His voice booms out "well, well well, you think you can live happily ever after? You still owe us your soul"

I'm overcome with a strong fear. I can barely move. So why do I prepare to attack?

But someone acts before I can.

"Oh wow! The drunk Lackey showed his face huh? We've been freed, don't you'se  'member dat? Are you moar stupid than ya' look? Or maybe that boss of yours has no more use for you so he threw you out. Let me guess... You want to prove yourself?"  The voice's accent comes out as he speaks

I look over. I know that accent anywhere. It's Cagney, just sitting relaxed in the grass. He's leaning back using his arms so he doesn't lay down. No wait... He's leaning against the train
His arms are...in the ground?

Vines cover the ground near dice and he's trapped into place. He can't move. In frustration he starts shooting cards at cagney.

I react without thinking. I slam the heels of my hands onto the edge of a wooden box before me. Eyes pop out of my hands and shoot towards the cards. It takes the hit, so Cagney is safe. Even though it's a simple attack, it ends up hurting.

The conductor uses his hands to try and catch the dice. I don't understand why he's doing that. His joints get arthritis easily, which happens. He dodges a card attack and is forced to retreat. The twins use their Lazer beams to knock the dice out. However they melt a bit due to the heat. Cagney removes his arms from the ground. The crew regroups to bandages ourselves up.

Our attacks are very simple but can easily harm their users. That's the trade for having an afterlife. That's why I've learned how to take care of everyone after a battle. Cagney rushes over.

"Are you ok? Here let me see" he attempts to grab my hand

"Don't worry I know what I'm doing" I reassure him with a smile."

He's still worried "fine of you insist"

"I'll get everyone patched up. You get the dice back to the casino. You're the only one able to right now" I explain

He nods and smiles "alright! I'll be back shortly!"

He's sure one weird guy. He's all hyper after being concerned. Is he doing it for my sake? And why did he only trap the dice earlier? I don't know.

I don't care if I get hurt, I can heal. But the bad news is we might not be free yet. That's what scares me the most.