conclusion of our world

Cagney's pov:

He's gone. So... The victim in that case...spec clearly knows them. I hand the file to the bartender

"This one isn't worth it. They're probably long dead." Sorting through things, that's the only conclusion I got

As I walk out the bar I think things over. The killer was that "girl" the boy was her friends and she killed him. Afterwards, and even during the murder, "she" was plauged with guilt. She probably didn't stick around long after the murder.

I pull out a cigarette and light it up. (Please don't smoke guys) it's chili out tonight. There's a few questions left unanswered tho. Why does spec know? How much does he know? And most importantly, will "she" have to repeat history again?

I laugh to myself. Of course not. That "girl" has been dead for a long long time. She won't be returning... At least that's what I hope.

"Shut up" my voice quietly whispers.

I finish the cigarette and throw the butt away. I start heading home. Ever since I sold my soul, things have gotten worse. I'm a criminal, I keep getting nightmares and that beast wants to come out. I slipped up during battle. I'm surprised I didn't kill those stupid cup ki-...!

No... That's not right. I DID KILL THEM. but they... Revived themselves. Is that what spec tried to do? Or is he alive thanks to the train's contract. Is "she" alive too? No that's not right. She's gone. SHE HAS TO BE! Her mission was done. There was nothing left for her to do.

Maybe it's a loop. Endless. She should've died when the contacts were burned of she still remained. So why does she keep going? I enter the woods. It floods back.

What's wrong?
Your roommate?
I see...
That's not right at all!
He should pay up too!
I know I know.

"Hey?"
"Fancy meeting you here!"
"Well I love plants they're really special"
"Your apartment?"
"I wouldn't want to upset your roommate. Plus I have a perfect spot"
"See... All nice. I even got us something to drink!"
"Yeah there was a problem with the carbonation"
"What's wrong?"
"Sleepy?"
"You know...you're such a shitty roommate"

"MORNING SUNSHINE!"
"Woah! Don't struggle too much! You'll choke!"
"Hm? You don't like that?"
"How do you think he felt?"
"Working overtime"
"Constant pain"
"You're getting off easy you know"
"I would do worse but...he cares about you"
"If it were up to me I'd..."
"Oh"
"I'll be honest you weren't a fun pinata"

"Hm?"
"Where is he?"
"His roommate died?"
"A giant wild beast?"
"In the woods?"
"Oh... Oh my"
"I'll go see him"

"Another day, another murder."
"Who was it?"
"Some asshole mugging people"
"You guys need to avoid those woods"
"Hahaha! They're killing bad people like Robin hood!"
"It's gruesome like a wolf"
"It's not even safe outside."
"I'm scared"
"Please stop joking around guys!"
"Well, what do you two think?"

"It's truly disgusting. You don't have to kill them. Just lock them up"

"You can't punish bad people because you'll become bad too"

On the night he died someone wrote a letter.

Dear darling,

Please make it stop. Time is looping. New timelines, slightly different, same conclusion. I don't wanna hurt people again. Please... Make it stop. What's happening? Which "you" can I trust? They don't know it's me. I'm sorry your killer will remain free. I'm truly terrible. I just want a happy ending. Please just once. So help me reset the world. If you see me again, kill me. Keep doing it just so things reset. I'll find a world with a happy ending. I promise. For your sake. For my sake. Because I love you. I know what I'm doing is wrong. I hope you can forgive me for my actions. If not I understand. Just let me know to stay away from you. This wasn't it. This is the bad end. Until next time.

I love you.

-[REDACTED] (THIS IS WRITTEN)

I walk through the woods. It's lonely without him. Various gruesome murders occurred here so I'm suprised he actually stayed at my house. I enter my house. It's dark, yet something is glowing. I turn around and when I do I'm met with spec. He looks at me. He's almost crying. He holds me in a hug. He grabs the pea shooter and hesitates. After a moment he forces a smile and aims it at me. I don't panic. His arm is too shaky to correctly fire and his tears makes his eyes blurry. Most importantly he still cares about me.

His glowing form illuminates the room. He's tears, stream down his face. I know I can't do anything. Just like last time. I feel numb. But I know this is it. Things are gonna restart soon.

"Cagney" he puts his other hand on the trigger. "It's you isn't it?" He removes his hand to wipe the tears away then puts it back. "Those letters... Match your hand writing...someone I used to know, resembles you... No... It *is* you. You got rid of so many people and created fear. And for what?! Just to kill me?! What's wrong with you cagney?"

I move towards him. He shouts "STAY BACK OR I'LL SHOOT"

I move closer and closer. He's not going to hurt me. I take the gun from him. I clean it off and look at him.

"Listen and listen well. You better fucking leave right now. Go to the train and resume life as if we never met." I check the gun and make sure it's loaded.

He tries to protest. After realising he can't he looks at me. "At the very least...please tell me why you killed me"

I look away. "Because you're supposed to be a ghost"

He doesn't understand. But I do. In my timeline he was always a ghost so I had to make things right. He leaves the house. On his way out he probably heard a boom coming from the house.

There's a long moment where my soul is floating through darkness.

When I wake up, I'm in a garden. Someone is shaking me awake.

A nice soft voice reaches my ears. "Oh you're awake. Thank goodness"