...

TW:// hanging

Cagney's POV:

I wake up. I feel groggy. Spec is awake. Has he even slept? I pull the blanket so it's over him, which completely covers me.

"Huh? What are you doing?" He asks

"You should sleep" I explain

He pulls the blanket down to my shoulders.

"I slept dear. I just woke up sooner that's all" he explains.

I can't tell if that's true or not. I get up and rub my eyes. He sits up in bed.

"I have good news" he says

"Oh?" I ask

"We can go back to your place now." He states

I put my coat on and gather my things.

We head towards the station. Our arms are linked. He looks deep in thought.

"What's on your mind dear?" I ask

He sighs. He's probably debating on if he should ask what's really on his mind or play it off with another question. After a moment he gets the courage to speak.

"The moonshine. That shit is illegal Cagney. Where the hell did you get it? Are you involved with shady people?" He says with a stern tone

I'm not used to him being stern or cursing. It catches me off guard. Even though my body language is smug, chill and relaxed my thoughts aren't.

Hm? What's this?
Did he figure it out?
He's smart. I'll give him that.
Oh he found out.
Shit.
How much does he know?

"What are you so worked up about? Any well connected individual can get some. You just gotta know what you're doing. It's pretty much a bar." I explain

I'm not lying but I'm hiding a lot. Usually I can lie and lie no problem. He's not pushing it and he seems to accept the explanation. So why do I feel like shit?

He sighs "I swear to Satan if you're getting into trouble I will kick your ass"

"I'm a good boy darling~" I flirt

He turns red and puffs his cheeks.

"I'm serious! I don't need you getting hurt or nothing!" He remarks

"Says the guy who threatened to kick my ass" I counter

The rest of the walk is quiet. He can't think of anything to say and neither can I. We arrive at the station and I fill the crew in on what happened. I'm surprised when brittle bones conductor doesn't yell at us. He's just glad we're safe. I head back home.

Or so they think. I head to the docks and take a boat to an island. I thank the guy and continue on my way. I walk until I find a cave. I him a tune loudly and wait to gain entry. I know what I'm doing so I get in.

"Flying Gentleman" greets me. His wife "radio light" changes the record. It's a lively place here. Sure it's just another moonshine mob but it's like a family. It sucks we can't use real names. Here I'm known as "johnny" here. A lame nickname but a practical one.

The boss, a snail, is glad to see me. It's been awhile since I've visited, it's far from my house after all. I don't visit often or I'll lose my purpose in this mob.

He hands me a folder. "You've got another one. He's a lawyer who got some our rivals out of the slammer." He explains

"I'm gonna have "Queen" join me for this one. She's probably pissed about the lost criminals." I say

"Queen" is Rumor Honeybottoms. Arrogant and ruthless but smart as hell. Most see her as a loose cannon. That's not her at all though. That side is an act for the public. She is aware I'm involved and keeps us out of jail. In turn, we get her to arrest rival mobs.

There's a problem with that though. People catch on. My job is to eliminate them. In other words, I'm a hitman.

I have another name "The beast" it's not one anyone in this mob picked but it was chosen by rival mobs. I used to kill just about anyone in a rival mob who got in the way or overstepped. Their buddies would find their bodies mangled or in some horrible fashion. I used to have fun with killing people back then. I was filled with a lot of hatred and the thrill of killing was addicting.

Now though I usually just dismember and send it to the rival mob if I can get creative. Most of the time I can't.

People think it's the boss or "flying gentleman" who's the beast. I had to calm down for their safety. Some people want to be the one who kills "the beast"

"I'll get it done" I say

At this point those words are just confirmation that I know what to do. I've never failed a mission.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I knock on the lawyer's door. He welcomes me in. To him I'm just a client.

We go into his office. It's lit by a ceiling fan. It reminds me of some work I've done in the past.

"C-can you please shut the b-blinds. Th-the door. Lock it. They might've followed me" I say shaky

The act is flawless and he stops and looks at me.

"Who? Are you ok sir?" He asks with genuine concern

"N-no...my boss... I saw someone on the job... They got torn up... He wants me to not tell. If I go to the cops he'll probably have me killed" I rush my words

He quickly shuts the blinds and locks the door. When he does I wrap him in vines. He struggles but I basically got him in a tight hold most would save for the bedroom. They hold them best.

I pull out a, walkie talkie and radio in rumor my whereabouts. While I'm waiting it gives me time to think.

Is it really ok to date while in a mob? What if he finds out? What if he hates me because of it? What if... What... If...

Voices.

I return to the real world. Rumor is talking on the radio.

"Change of plans. They know he's in danger. They're headed there were trying to pull them over. Kill him and run for it. Thread him" she says.

Damn if I was gonna do that I wouldn't have asked her to get in on it. It's just extra steps.

I take off his shoes and undo the laces. I tie it into a noose and tie it to the ceiling fan. I hang him. I let the vines loose. He struggles. It's somewhat entertaining in a weird way. Watching his eyes go dull. Watching him go limp. Watching him look at me with desperation. It doesn't feel like he's dying. The weight of knowing he's dead doesn't sink in. It's like watching some one fight off sleepiness.

Click.

The door opens and one of his boys enters. Just one. I can do one. He tries to shoot me but it's jammed. I cocoon the fella and take him with me. I head for the forest.

~~~~~~~~~~~~

Once deep in it I let his face get unvined. He's freaking out because he knows where he is. I pay it no mind. Something sadistic is ticking in my head. That giant beast is back. What an unlucky day for the poor guy.