Chapter 10

I did not realize the passing time, and when I did too much time had already passed. Hours, days, work, ... everything was so in place, and it was so unusual to me, that I didn't even realize how much I missed Kakashi until it had become a new habit to leave work with Retha instead of him. 

The day after he left I talked to her because of what Kakashi told me about not walking home alone. She understood and became even more worried than Kakashi. So instead, she offered me (without many options for me to refuse) to sleep over at her apartment until Kakashi was back. 

The first days I left with Retha were weird. I would help her clean and close everything, and ultimately wait for her outside. I would hug myself and see the condensation my breaths created. I would stare at the streets, imagining Kakashi's figure appearing as it normally happened, but instead, it was Retha's lively voice coming from the bar behind me. But in the following days I became completely used to it, and it would only be at  Yamanaka's flowers that thoughts of Kakashi would pop up in my mind. It was thus, after this that I found myself hoping to see him even more, hoping that he was fine and wondering whether I would know if something were to happen to him. Although I guess, being the renowned ninja he was I would eventually know...

I was thinking about this as I left the bar, waiting for Retha to finish. And due to the lateness of the night and the fact that the street should be empty —but especially due to how deep in thought I was— I let go of a muffled scream when I saw a white figure appearing right next to me. And although I relaxed after I saw it was Kakashi in his Anbu clothes, I still could feel my heartbeat against my throat. 

"Jeez, you scared me" I complained, grabbing my chest. Kakashi didn't say anything and just looked away for a second, letting me regain my composure. I finally looked at him when I did, realizing this meant he was back once and for all "I'm so happy you're back!" I smiled at him, but he again looked away "When did you arrive?" 

"This morning," he answered simply, finally looking at me.

"Oh, wait here," I said, realizing that I could finally go and sleep at home. 

Although honestly, I doubted I would sleep as well as I did in Retha's home. It wasn't that hers was extremely comfy, her apartment was rather simple as well. But I guess my mind had inevitably linked all bad feelings and thoughts to my empty apartment. In any case, I popped my head inside the bar and let Retha know that she didn't need to help me anymore. 

"C'mon, let's go" I smiled at Kakashi after I was back outside. I started walking but was stopped when Kakashi grabbed my arm "Ah-" I hissed in pain. He hadn't been rough, but my arm was sensitive due to all the bandages covering it. 

"What happened?" he asked, immediately letting me go when he saw it hurt. I brought my arm to myself. This time he started walking with me. 

"Just some random drunk guy" I explained, rubbing my arm slightly. He kept looking at me with a slight frown, but I looked elsewhere than him. I didn't want to tell him what exactly happened because I was kind of embarrassed about it, even if I knew I shouldn't be. But I knew, that if I told him that someone whom I had also stolen in the past did this to me he would insist again on me dropping this job. Besides the typical 'I told you' that I preferred not to listen "It's just a bit swollen, but that's it. Don't worry" I added. But seeing he kept looking at me, waiting for some more explanation, I decided to change the topic "I spent the nights with my coworker by the way. I didn't go home alone like you said" I told him with a small smile. 

"Good" he simply and vaguely answered, finally looking away from me. 

But even if his answer had been short I could feel he was happy to hear that. Or maybe it was my imagination, but it still made me feel glad to hear it.